Talk

Advanced search

DH has a job opportunity

(8 Posts)
balia Thu 13-Nov-14 22:55:38

Am going to be vague as I don't want responses based on what jobs I'm talking about...

So, DH and I currently do the same job. It's hard work, rewarding, long hours etc. DH has also been giving his time (for years) to support another organisation. An opportunity has come up for him to take on a part-time paid role for them. He could carry on doing his current job but go part-time.

It won't have a financial implication for us except we currently travel to work together so increased travel costs (possibly including new car, so not inconsiderable). He has long found his current job very stressful, has had episodes of depression in the past (but only one really bad one in the last 5+ years). He is excited but very apprehensive about the demands of the new job.

He would have to travel more (prob not overnight much) but would have less work to do at home. What would your advice be? I'm feeling very nervous about change!

balia Fri 14-Nov-14 18:33:23

shameless bump - maybe it's a no-brainer?

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Fri 14-Nov-14 18:36:28

Sounds like a no brainier to me.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Fri 14-Nov-14 18:37:16

Aargh. No brainer. Good luck to him.

MuttonCadet Fri 14-Nov-14 18:38:16

How easy would it be for him to go part time in his current role and actually stick to it? Most of the part-timers I know actually work a fair amount more than their contracted hours, and that might increase his stress.

Bowlersarm Fri 14-Nov-14 18:39:51

It sounds amazing for him. It changes the status quo for you, so he has to have your support for it to work.

MaryWestmacott Fri 14-Nov-14 18:45:36

Mutton raises a good point, for example, every part time teacher I know is still expected to do parents evenings and training days and events even if they don't fall on their work days/are in the afternoons and they only work mornings.

When I worked part time, even though there was another woman job sharing with me, so there when I was out of office, I'd still take calls most weeks on my non-work days.

If his job is at a professional level, it might be hard to juggle the two if his old job places demands on new job time.

Otherwise, go for it! Can you explore other transport options other than running 2 cars?

balia Fri 14-Nov-14 20:07:57

Oh God I knew I was being selfish. I like the status quo - I like travelling together, too - with a multi-generational family the time together in the car is often our only 'alone' time. I like that we have the same working experience to talk about and it helps us empathise with each other - kind of us against the world-type thing.

I'm also a bit concerned that I will get dragged in to it, too - I already do a fair bit of proof-reading and admin for the (up until now) voluntary job and there are quite a few 'working' social events including weekend things that I would be expected to go along to, and I'm not really comfy with it. Sigh.

I could look into car-sharing, I guess, specially as it would only be 3 days a week.

I think the stress/part-time thing is very relevant - he is very thorough and wouldn't want to be doing a less than good job in either role so may well end up working harder.

But I can't not support him, can I? It is a really interesting opportunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now