Talk

Advanced search

gender scan

(22 Posts)
natashabuckland1995 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:12:11

I had my 20 week scan on Thursday 6th November and the baby was laying in a awkward position so they couldn't tell what gender the baby was, but when my friend was 20 weeks and the same thing happened to her, they offered her another scan. I am upset that I did not find out the gender of my baby as me and my partner wanted to find out really badly, what do I do? sad

Molotov Fri 07-Nov-14 11:14:28

Phone the hospital and tell them what you have said here. Hopefully you'll be offered another scan.

If not, you can pay privately to be scanned smile

Good luck.

PetShopGirl Fri 07-Nov-14 11:15:44

I guess either wait until the baby's born or pay for a private scan. The 20 week scan is not a gender scan, it's an anomaly scan. Obviously it's nice if they can/will tell you the sex of the baby, but it's by no means a given.

PotteringAlong Fri 07-Nov-14 11:17:17

Honestly, I'd be chuffed my baby was fine and not care about the gender. That's not what your 20 week scan is for. Do you really want the NHS to pay for an unnecessary gender scan?

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Nov-14 11:17:46

In the same position, DH and I had a private scan a couple of weeks later. The nhs 20 week scan is to check the baby for anomalies, not to determine gender. If the sonography can see it in the allocated time, then that's a great bonus. Maybe when your friend was offered another scan the hospital had more resources? Or wanted to check for something else?

natashabuckland1995 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:19:49

to be honest me and my partner want to know the gender of the baby

curiousgeorgie Fri 07-Nov-14 11:20:00

You can pay for a private scan, with somewhere like baby bond, where they will specifically look for the gender and also give you a bit more time and usually some nice scan pictures too.

My NHS anomaly scan didn't tell us the gender, they don't promise to because that's not really what it's for.

Seriouslyffs Fri 07-Nov-14 11:20:23

Enjoy the surprise or pay for a private scan.
hmmconfused

Pico2 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:20:39

Private scan or just wait and see. The NHS is for medical stuff. Looking at an unborn baby's genitals is not a medical issue.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Nov-14 11:21:49

It's an anomaly scan. Not a gender scan.

Pay private or if you have to have another scan ask then.

Molotov Fri 07-Nov-14 11:23:15

I don't think it appears to be the case that the OP wants the NHS to pay for another scan. Rather, she wants to know the gender of her baby, which ia usually determinable at the 20w anomaly scan.

I remember feeling so excited at my dc1's 20w scan back in October 2008: were we going to have a son or daughter? Of course it didn't matter, but we (I) wanted to know.

Some want to know before the birth. Others don't and either is fine.

Molotov Fri 07-Nov-14 11:25:44

And if the hospital cannot or will not recall the OP to do a repeat scan, she can pay privately, right? That's the only issue there is.

PotteringAlong Fri 07-Nov-14 12:41:05

If you want to know then pay for a gender scan!

MrsMaker83 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:56:41

Telling the gender isn't always possible, i doubt the nhs would rescan purely for that.

I would look into private scans, basic ones just for gender or quick reassurance of wellbeing aren't too expensive.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 16-Nov-14 16:34:21

The surprise is the best bit. We waited and the moment the midwife said "it's a boy" will remain with me for the rest of my life. It was just so magical and felt like a real reward for 9 months of pregnancy and 23 hours of labour <soppy>

Holfin Sun 16-Nov-14 16:39:31

Our local hospital does not tell anyone the sex as part of the 20 week scan. I think you will need to book a private scan if you want to know now.

Lezprechaun Sun 16-Nov-14 16:48:09

There is never a guarantee they can tell you gender on any scan, I had an nhs scan an paid for 2 private scans and still no one could work out the gender of my daughter. It's just what happens sometimes. If you're desperate to know then pay for a private scan, nhs scans check for problems not gender. Be aware though that there is still no guarantee of gender even with a private scan if baby is in a position where it can't be seen.

Serenitysutton Sun 16-Nov-14 16:55:46

I would pay for a private scan too

magpiegin Sun 16-Nov-14 16:55:48

Yes, you'll have to pay for a private scan. That's what we did. It would be a waste of NHS resources to scan you again just to find out gender. The point of the scan is to make sure the baby is ok.

BertieBotts Sun 16-Nov-14 17:08:45

They don't usually offer an extra scan, that technician must have been feeling extra nice that day. I think a private scan is about £70 if you are really desperate to find out.

BumWad Sun 16-Nov-14 17:11:29

Pay for a private scan

Stars66 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:10:26

Enjoy the surprise!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now