Advanced search

Have DS2 broken (?) arm checked privately tonight or wait for NHS appt in 1 week

(27 Posts)
lynniep Mon 30-Jun-14 14:58:55

DS2 has suspected broken elbow. He had a cast put on, on Saturday evening. I say suspect, because he's 4 - x-rays were inconclusive - they can't see a fracture, but the docs and the specialist think that it just doesn't look right, and wanted to put a cast on, then have him rechecked at the fracture clinic asap. Asap is in a week.

DH wants us to take him tonight to the private consultant. I have no faith in private consultants having seen two in the past (one for DS1 and one for me) and basically paying £75 + prescription fees for disinterested waffle. (DH gets private cover through work) I have found the NHS to be generally brilliant, and the GPs and Consultants etc are far more helpful.

There is no guarantee he'll do anything but waffle. What he needs is more x-rays and investigation and there's no guarantee we'll get that. We are very skint right now. BUT I don't want DS2 to put up with a cast for another week if he doesn't need one either.


ElizabethMedora Mon 30-Jun-14 15:02:51

So you want to take your son for a private second opinion in the hopes they will say it's not broken & take the cast off?

I wouldn't bother. If 4 x x-rays & several doctors thought it needed a cast, I would want the cast to stay on. It's only a week!

lynniep Mon 30-Jun-14 15:05:53

Essentially yes. DS2 needs a second opinion whatever as the cast is just a temporary one. It could go either way. Fracture clinic could decide he needs to keep the cast, but would replace the one he has on now.

DH wants him to go private so we can get that opinion tonight. I think we should wait and go to the fracture clinic next week.

(I meant DS2 is 4 - he had 2 xrays)

Madlizzy Mon 30-Jun-14 15:07:00

Might need the swelling to go down before it shows properly on an xray.

ElizabethMedora Mon 30-Jun-14 15:08:03

I would wait personally, It might need swelling to go down before they can decide anyway.

lynniep Mon 30-Jun-14 15:09:24

I agree. DH doesn't. We are currently battling it out over email...

Trooperslane Mon 30-Jun-14 15:10:35

Madlizzy has it.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 30-Jun-14 15:14:22

I would wait.

I've been in this position with a leg. Though it was actually a private Swiss clinic who weren't sure and put the cast on. A week later, swelling had gone down and nhs decided it wasn't broken.

They were actually rather disparaging of the quality of the private X-rays as well and said their machines were far better.

If several Drs weren't sure I'd say its the break that's the trouble not the Drs. In general a&e Drs in this country are very good, especially bread and butter stuff like fractures. They're going to be more experienced than a private dr.

wigglybeezer Mon 30-Jun-14 15:25:40

Elbows are tricky, leave the cast on and go to the fracture clinic.

My DS2 fractured his elbow (bad fracture) in the Easter holidays and had to have an op, the consultant on duty wouldn't operate because he was a leg specialist and felt it would be better to wait a day for the arm specialist to deal with it as elbow fractures have a high complication rate.

Most four year olds will cope well with a cast for a week or two, just cover it with a poly bag taped onto his upper arm if he need a bath.

lynniep Mon 30-Jun-14 15:30:12

Well he's booked it and he's taking him. He's not listening to me at all. I can't do anything about it (he's just left work to collect him) so I have to suck it up.

ElizabethMedora Mon 30-Jun-14 15:53:57

That's frustrating OP.

lljkk Mon 30-Jun-14 15:57:13

Oh dear. sad
DS had something similar few weeks ago. Only had a cast for 3 days, though.

justabigdisco Mon 30-Jun-14 16:03:09

I would wait. I had something similar with my DC broken collarbone. It took 10 days to show up on an X-ray as it was such a thin crack. No point doing them again so soon.

lljkk Tue 01-Jul-14 18:03:55


lynniep Wed 02-Jul-14 18:18:00

Hi. Well it was fine in the end and I'm happy he went in spite of my misgivings.

We got the head honcho of the orthapedic unit who reexamined the x-rays with his ultra posh (DH's words) machine (I don't know why it was any different) and pointed out the fracture which the initial specialist hadn't spotted. He was unable to get x-rays Monday as the team had gone already, and we couldn't go back yesterday as DS2 had a school session he has been so excited about, so we came back in today.

Temporary cast came off and he examined the arm externally. Poor little sausage - his elbow is black and blue sad
Had more x-rays taken. Had a lightweight cast put on (he chose pink smile ) and hopefully only needs it for 3 weeks. Dr said he'd examine the new x-rays after he finished his surgeries today, and let us know if there's anything else to worry about, but he doubts it.

So good outcome. DS2 happy with his new cast. DH happy he was 'right'. I'm happy that DS2s arm is being treated as it should.

AnyFucker Wed 02-Jul-14 18:19:59

Actually, your DS's arm was "being treated as it should" before you paid through the nose for a private consultation

But there you go smile

celestialsquirrels Wed 02-Jul-14 18:24:19

So what's the difference in treatment? He got his pink cast 3 days earlier? That makes you DH "right"?

Gosh some people are delusional

lougle Wed 02-Jul-14 18:24:35

The treatment the NHS gave was absolutely correct. All the private Paed did was identify where the fracture was that the NHS paed's were sure was present.

ShadowsShadowsEverywhere Wed 02-Jul-14 18:25:49

DS recently fractured his leg. The consultant explained to me that they put a temporary cast on initially because they need to allow for swelling to subside before they put the permenant cast on. This is why the fracture clinic appointment is normally several days -a week after the A&E visit. So actually you would have been fine not paying as your DS was being treated as he should have been, and completely correctly considering his injury.

Percephone Wed 02-Jul-14 18:26:56

I hope you remembered to cancel your fracture clinic appointment.

krazipan Wed 02-Jul-14 18:30:11

Drs whether they work privately, NHS or both are all qualified! All private gives you is potentially quicker treatment as your case shows (although it is not uncommon for fractures to 'show themselves' after a few days when swelling is starting to subside).

GertieFinkle Wed 02-Jul-14 18:34:54

Stop having a go at the OP, she didn't want the private appointment, has stated she thinks NHS care is excellent and is just relieved her injured child has been treated.

FFS vipers, cool your boots.

OP - glad he has his new pink cast (and well done for striking a blow against the pink is only for girls brigade). Hope he heals up quickly.

AnyFucker Wed 02-Jul-14 18:35:45

"having a go"
Give over smile

lynniep Wed 02-Jul-14 18:36:36

You can jump on me now, I expected no less of MN and I wouldn't be here if I didn't expect some flack! (and yes of course I cancelled the original appointment)
I didn't get a choice in the matter, but I'm happy with how its been resolved, even though we're £75 down.

lynniep Wed 02-Jul-14 18:38:18

(thanks Gertie!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now