Advanced search

ex wants me to sign over house to him

(5 Posts)
dobedobedo Sun 29-Jun-14 09:59:39

Ex and I own a house together. We lived in it a short while before relocating and renting it out. When we split up, I moved out of our other house (rented) and relocated again. About a year later, he moved out of the house we rented and back into the one we owned.

When we rented the house we owned out, he kept all the income (he cleared out our joint account despite promising me he would never do this). Now he's living in it again and has a lodger.

He pays the mortgage and keeps the lodger income. The house is now mine (and his) in name only. He wants me to hand the house over to him.

There's no real equity in it so selling it and splitting profit at the minute wouldn't really be worth it. What would you do?

I don't want to be tied to my ex as he's put me through so much, but I don't want to gift a house to him either. But am I entitled to anything since I've had nothing to do with it for 4 years? Not sure what to do and would appreciate advice or opinions. Thanks

dobedobedo Sun 29-Jun-14 15:05:46


Methe Sun 29-Jun-14 15:13:43

If there's no equity in the house then ask for 50% of the deposit and your shame of whatever was in the joint account he cleared out.

Then wash your hands of the house, and him.

mipmop Sun 29-Jun-14 15:16:00

Have you stopped paying toward the house, e.g. mortgage payments?

I think your best bet is to get legal advice, either from a solicitor or from an organisation like CAB.

lljkk Sun 29-Jun-14 21:09:18

You're entitled to get back what you put into it, however long ago. Would it be worthwhile to give that up so that you don't have any more to do with him ASAP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now