Advanced search

Problems with Landlord/DP

(3 Posts)
StrawberryTartYum Sun 30-Mar-14 12:01:17

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, our landlord is dragging his feet fixing some windows in our house. One is a big crack in the bedroom window (didn't notice till a week after we'd moved in last november, but the man upstairs said it had been like that for about five months prior, and that the previous tenant had reported it) and the other is a hole, like for a vent pipe, in a cupboard window. Regular phone calls to them are met with 'the handyman will be in asap, I'm not saying tomorrow but soon.' Anyway DP cracked, phoned them and said that it was unacceptable, it's not fair on DS (12 weeks old) and that we would withhold rent from them until these problems are fixed. I'm not sure if this is legal? Or would achieve anything? The thing is, I can't override him on this because the housing benefit gets paid into his account but the rent comes out of mine so if he doesn't transfer the rent over then I won't be able to pay anyway. Any advice on how to get the landlord to fix these problems, without resorting to withholding rent? Thanks in advance!

NoEgowoman Tue 01-Apr-14 22:19:22

Contact the local authority housing department. You shouldn't withhold rent as it puts you in the wrong. They will visit assess the problem and write to the landlord. If it's serious enough they may consider prosecuting him under the housing act.

StrawberryTartYum Wed 02-Apr-14 11:21:29

Thanks! I will definitely look into that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: