Talk

Advanced search

Decluttering - sell or donate?

(13 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Sun 23-Mar-14 11:26:54

I'm planning a big declutter this week. Things I'll be getting rid of are:

Should I even bother with trying to flog some things on eBay / gumtree / Facebook or shall I just save time and give it all to charity shops? I buy on eBay a fair bit but have only had a couple of not v successful selling attempts.

Either way, am I better off holding onto unseasonal items and selling / donating them later in the year?

Nojustalurker Sun 23-Mar-14 11:32:11

It depends on what it more important to you getting rid of all the crap and freeing up space and time or are willing to invite some time and wait a little longer for a small amount of money.

thesaurusgirl Sun 23-Mar-14 11:41:40

They will just become another kind of clutter - "the stuff I've not Ebayed yet."

If you really need the money then do sell the best stuff; but if you need things in your life that money can't buy (time, space, good luck), donating goods with some proper value attached to them is like making a deposit into the Bank of Karma. Your kindness will be returned by the universe. I know it sounds nuts but just try it and see!

stuckindamiddle Sun 23-Mar-14 11:43:15

More just decluttering really.

Meant to give a list of the type of stuff I'll be getting rid of:

- loads of woolly scarfs and gloves, some brand new

- some of my clothes, mostly cheap stuff but a few nice dresses (Wallis and boutique stuff) in styles that do zero for my post-baby pooch....

- a brand new wool coat that I love but doesn't fit

- excess, old socks and underwear ( going to clothes bank!)

- a few furniture / household bits e.g. a couple of pairs of decent lined curtains, random cushion covers, party type serving dishes, about 4 decent and modern second hand internal doors and two other internal doors still in the Howden's packaging

- loads of shoes and handbags, I simply have too many! None are designer but all are in good condition, some are new.

- photo frames, most are used but in good condition, some new.

tribpot Sun 23-Mar-14 11:49:25

I would consider keeping the stuff that's brand new to eBay or Gumtree. Everything else needs to go, either to charity or via Freecycle.

The value of getting all this stuff out of your house will exceed the cash value you might make flogging it. It will take ages to get shot of everything, you just want it gone.

Eastpoint Sun 23-Mar-14 11:54:44

If you donate it at least three people will be happy; you because you've decluttered, the charity shop because they have some beautiful new stock which they can sell and the person who buys it who will be excited to have something new. Add on the people/animals who benefit from the money raised and you've done something pretty special.

Floralnomad Sun 23-Mar-14 11:56:14

Ebay the doors ,for collection only and charity shop the rest .

Fullpleatherjacket Sun 23-Mar-14 11:58:51

Car boot season starts soon. I'd give it all a whirl there for two or three weeks then see what's left.

You should be able to shift quite a bit in one go that way without all the hassle of listing and posting.

MightBe Mon 24-Mar-14 05:29:17

Thesaurus girl is so right! I HAVE that 'other kind of clutter' (stuff to Ebay) in my garage. I started to sell it on Ebay. Was upsetting. Took time. Postage ludicrously expensive. Got next to nothing for GOOD STUFF I'd rather have given to appreciative friends or kept for DC2, charity shopped etc

stuckindamiddle Mon 24-Mar-14 08:25:09

Oh thanks for the replies. Exactly the sensible advice I needed! I'm going to gumtree the doors and a couple of other decent bits and look into local car boot sales. But most I'll freecycle or charity shop as deep down I also think thesaurusgirl is right...
eBay is time consuming and probably not the best option for me right now.

Floralnomad Mon 24-Mar-14 10:09:19

Unless you are really keen on getting up at 6am on a weekend and haggling over 50p don't bother with boot fairs !

AlpacaLypse Mon 24-Mar-14 10:11:50

Thanks all, you've motivated me to just fill the boot and take it up to the Hospice shop!

stuckindamiddle Mon 24-Mar-14 12:28:38

Hmmm floral, that doesn't sound so good! Will give the boot sales a second thought.

Alpaca, well done! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now