Talk

Advanced search

Noisy and Aggressive Neighbours

(8 Posts)
Jenny234 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:32:38

Can anyone offer advice please? We live next to a pub which, until recently, has been a nice village pub where families could go. We could always hear their music, but as a low hum through the walls which didn't bother us.

But recently the pub tenants changed, and they have been holding live music that pounds through our walls (we are joined to them). The first time it happened we asked them could they please turn it down, and we were told to get knotted. We and a couple of other neighbours complained to Environmental Health and the local Licensing Department. We thought it was under control, until last week I left my house and the landlady chased after me. She said that our complaints hadn't worked, 'round one to them', 'this is war', and that we'd be getting a little visit soon (I dread to think who from). We have also had people kicking our front door. I was frightened and called the police. They spoke to the pub, but came back and said that the landlady denied her intimidating behaviour, and since there were no witnesses there is nothing further they can do. They originally suggested mediation between ourselves and the pub, but since then one of our neighbours has made a formal complaint about the noise so they feel mediation is no longer appropriate.

I'm nervous of leaving the house, and despite the fact that Environmental Health have spoken with them, their music is still pounding through the walls. Apparently because they have a music license we can't stop the live bands, even though we feel that a drum kit, acoustic guitars and all the rest of the equipment, all amplified, is too much for a small village pub. We've had enough of it all, and we're putting our house on the market this week, but we're not too hopeful about selling with all this going on. Does anyone have any ideas please? Any suggestions very gratefully accepted:-;

ThePartyArtist Wed 19-Mar-14 10:22:43

Sounds awful! I had what is - by comparison - very minor disturbance from neighbours, and found this website useful for setting out what rights you have and what options you can try: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes
Hope it helps.

NollaigShona Thu 20-Mar-14 15:28:43

Are they managers? If so write and complain to their company MD. Tell them about the intimidation.

If they are owners or managers, write complaints to Environmental Health/Council/Police/ Licencing Authority each and every time they annoy you or intimidate you.

MightBe Mon 24-Mar-14 05:33:15

Of no use in terms of advice but it's such an awful situation for you that I didn't want to read and run. I hope other poster's website and the advice of others proves to be helpful. I think you're right to move, unfortunately. I'd have my mobile in my hand (discretely on silent record) of that woman came near me again.

sicily1921 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:31:09

Hi OP this is awful, I am sure you must have some rights here, I mean what time is the music going on til and how many nights a week?

Ensure you have some sort of recording device on you when you go out that you can discreetly switch on if landlady approaches you or if you do have the nerve to ask them to turn it down again make sure you record it.

Get it all down in writing as Mightbe said with the signatures of all the neighbours you get muster.

On the plus side if you do sell I am sure there will be people who won't actually mind the music being so loud as there are such people out there who have it that loud in their own houses and don't mind being attached to a boozer.

Best of luck, don't let that stupid woman intimidate you, I know it's easier said than done, she sounds like a horrible old bat.

goodmum123 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:32:52

If you have an iPhone there is a superb voice recorder. Set it going each time you leave the house and put it in your pocket. If you are ever verbally threatened or harassed again you will have proof. It even olds the date. I've done it myself but for a different dispute. Hope that helps x

Jenny234 Thu 27-Mar-14 16:05:30

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all your helpful ideas, it's nice of you and it's good to know that people are listening. They're not managers, but they are pub tenants, so we contacted the brewery for help. They just said it's a civil matter and they won't get involved, so no luck there.

We're still keeping noise diaries for the Environment Agency, and the next gig is on Saturday, so we'll see what happens then. If the noise is too bad, we'll call the EA's out of hours service and see if they can do anything. Sicily, the live music was originally just once a month, which was fine, but now it seems to be every Friday or Saturday night, and we're worried that it'll get more frequent still. Maybe we will try neigbhour signatures. We have a retired couple living on the other side of us, who just want to live peacefully and are understandably quite worried about the pub. And hopefully you're right Sicily, maybe we'll find someone who doesn't mind the party lifestyle and will want to buy our house, fingers crossed:-; We've just put it on the market, and I've been honest with the estate agent about the issues, so we'll have to wait and see.

Your ideas of having a recording device is a good one, I carry my phone with me wherever I go now:-; I've also bought a small rape alarm that doubles as a key ring, which also travels everywhere with me, so hopefully that'll be enough if she comes near me again! So far I haven't had to use them, I've managed to stay out of her way.

Thanks again everyone for your time and your kind advice, it's a relief just to talk about it.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 27-Mar-14 16:09:29

Time to get the papers involved - but name and shame the owners rather than the tenants - they will be more worried about their reputation than the tenants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now