Talk

Advanced search

Don't know what to do for the best.

(8 Posts)
BluBurd Fri 14-Mar-14 22:31:14

Without a huge long back story, I have to be out of my house in eight days. Due to a breakdown and being in crisis since January (only just stabilising with meds this past week) I haven't got anything sorted.

It's looking likely myself and my four young children are going to be put in a bnb. Then maybe a scatter flat. Then a permanent council house. I will have to rehome my dog and cat as no pets are allowed until a permanent home is given.

I have a housing officer that has been helping me look for another private let. There is one available, in my price range, happy to have DSS (I work part time too though off sick at the moment) and allows pets. But...it's in the next town, twenty minutes drive away.

The kids are keen, I desperately want to keep my pets. But my mental health is still very fragile and I would be moving away from my support network. My family and my best friend. My crisis team say they can arrange appointments to suit and don't think it's a major problem. My mum on the other hand thinks it's a very bad idea.

What would you do?

BluBurd Fri 14-Mar-14 22:46:31

I also don't drive, so would be relying on public transport for ongoing appointments with crisis team.

GeordieJellybean Fri 14-Mar-14 23:01:32

That sounds really tough sad

Could you move there as a temporary solution whilst you look for somewhere else or is it a long term let?
Or if you did move into temporary accommodation could someone look after your pets until you're living somewhere permanent? If not someone you know, would local shelters be able to arrange foster families for them?

BumpyGrindy Mon 17-Mar-14 01:03:18

I think the stress of b and b or scatter flat would possibly be worse than the small distance....your pets are important to your mental health too. xx

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 17-Mar-14 01:22:33

Being in a b&b isn't a great place for you, your children or your mental health, but I can see your dilemma. Could your mum look after the pets at all?

BluBurd Mon 17-Mar-14 16:52:41

I bit the bullet and am going down the homeless route. I am beyond stressed and terrified I will go backwards but I think this is the right thing to do in the long term. I will be going somewhere on Friday, where to and what I don't know yet.

MightBe Mon 24-Mar-14 05:39:55

I hope you're all ok and that the route you've chosen works well for you. Have you been able to keep your pets?

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 24-Mar-14 06:29:37

Blubird fwiw, I think you did the right thing for your own circumstances. Choosing between 2 pets who are dependant on you and your mum and support network (who no doubt help with your 4 children so you can get to appointments and work etc.) has to result in you rehoming the dependent pets. Hard decision, but I think that is better than the alternative which could have meant your mum wasn't able to help you and you struggled with the pets, children, and job on your own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now