Talk

Advanced search

Whooping cough vaccine at 31 weeks- wwyd?

(7 Posts)
chattychattyboomba Sat 08-Mar-14 10:34:01

It has been suggested by MW I ask my GP for the whooping cough vaccine in pregnancy at 31 weeks. She said it's meant to help babies with immunity from day one rather than receiving it at 3 months. I am not very informed about vaccinations but I'm hesitant to have anything like that because I'm just not clued up about it.
Anyone know more? What would you do?

Longtalljosie Sat 08-Mar-14 10:37:33

The first whooping cough vaccine is at 8 weeks. Until then, should your baby get it (and it's on the rise) s/he could die. I was 38 weeks pregnant when the programme for vaccinating pregnant women started. I rang and begged the nurse for an appointment that morning - in the hope that if she was late there would be time for it to cross the placenta. It's a no brainer.

WishUponAStar88 Sat 08-Mar-14 10:42:02

Do it. As previously said whooping cough has been on the rise recently amd quite a few babies have sadly died from it.

chattychattyboomba Sat 08-Mar-14 10:43:12

Thanks LTJ. I didn't realise it was actually 8 weeks despite DD having received all her vaccinations- it's been a while since I have had to think about it. I'm not against them, but when I told my friend who is also pregnant and a nurse she said there are preservative chemicals yadda yadda and it was pointless because the risk was 'so low'. I was a bit hmm as she didn't really back this up by saying exactly how it could be harmful...
I guess if it does no harm then why not.

Longtalljosie Sat 08-Mar-14 16:47:37

The anti-vax lot (looks around surreptitiously because they'll be about in a minute I'm sure) seem to think preservatives are more of an issue than actual fatal diseases sadly.

I was talking to an older colleague about polio the other day. He said when he was at school every so often one of his classmates wouldn't come in, and it would be round the school that little Johnny (or whatever) had polio. And that would be the last they'd see of him sad

Longtalljosie Sat 08-Mar-14 16:48:18

You could be right about 12 weeks rather than 8 as I remember. In which case that's even longer unprotected if you don't inoculate yourself...

mymiraclebubba Mon 10-Mar-14 09:28:13

The risk used to be quite low but there have been significant outbreaks in certain areas. I hadn't the year before I was pg and it is horrific as an adult so I can only imagine a newborn getting it.

Chemicals vs potential deathly illness = no contest for me I am afraid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now