Talk

Advanced search

House WAS for sale...

(8 Posts)
HaveAGoodDay Fri 07-Mar-14 11:48:02

We currently private rent, have been for the last several years. During the last few years we've really tightened our belts & saved really hard. We're now in a position where we could get a mortgage. There had a been an ideal property for sale for a long time in the village where we live, however at the time, we just didn't have enough for a deposit. When we enquired about the house, the estate agents said the vendors were extremely keen to sell (as they would say) & open to offers. Anyway, since then we saved a bit more but then the property was taken off the market. It turns out the vendor just took it off.

If it was on the market now at the asking price it would be absolutely ideal for us & the kids! Sod's law! I feel like slipping a letter through the letterbox! But of course, I wouldn't, (although i wish i had the balls) there could be any reason the vendor took the property off the market. If I remember correctly, my OH reckons its currently or was being rented anyway.

The houses in this area are expensive & having two children of both sexes we need separate bedrooms for them. We're just hanging on for some kind of little gem to turn up, nothing fancy, something we can call our home for the first time.

sebsmummy1 Fri 07-Mar-14 12:04:15

Hmmmm. I think you should try and pursue this OP. Is there any signs that the house is now occupied? If not then the letter through the door idea is not a bad one, obviously needs wording carefully.

When you spoke to the Estate Agent what did he say exactly?

HaveAGoodDay Fri 07-Mar-14 22:01:44

It was my OH that spoke to the estate agents first time round, we weren't yet in a position to make an offer but we were just making an enquiry, they handed my OH a brochure & said the vendor was very keen was a quick sale etc & there was tennents Amin at the moment I think.

But shortly after and when we're in a better position where we could actually view the property & possibly make an offer, the house is no longer on the market. When OH enquired, the estate agent just said the vender took it off the market, the house is no longer for sale.

Like I say, it can be for many reasons. It was up for sale for quite some time as I recall. Only time will tell I guess if it comes up again, perhaps OH can have a word with estate agent, he knows the guy who runs it, maybe find out a bit more info.

Littlefish Fri 07-Mar-14 22:03:32

You've got nothing to lose by putting a note through the door asking the owner to contact you if they are considering selling the house in the near future. You never know...

KirstyJC Fri 07-Mar-14 22:05:44

Definitely put a leaflet through the door. I know several people who put their house on the market and when they hadn't sold within a few months they took it off again, only to put it back on a few months later with a different agent.

You have nothing to lose!

momb Fri 07-Mar-14 22:11:47

Don't talk to the agent. Send a letter to the owners. You will get a better deal if they don't need to pay agents fees and they probably already have a solicitor in place.
Definitely pursue it! What's the worst that could happen...they say that they aren't interested in selling at the present time? The best thing is that you get the house you want for the price you can afford. Go for it.

RandomMess Sat 08-Mar-14 22:18:11

Get in touch with the owners, you have nothing to lose.

FrankUnderwood Sun 09-Mar-14 09:16:06

You can check the land registry to get owners details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now