Talk

Advanced search

Mean nanny at play session

(9 Posts)
ShatterResistant Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:35

Hi all. So I took my one-year-old to a play group thing yesterday, which isn't something I usually do for various reasons. Anyway, also there was an 11 month old boy with his nanny, and I didn't think she was very nice to him. She put him down in front of others, and when he took something from my child - perfectly normal baby behaviour - she called him a thief, practically spat the word out. Is quite hard to quantify, but we employ a nanny too, and I would HATE to think of my child being treated like that by the person we trust to care for her when we can't. I don't know this child's mother, but I could try to contact her through a local parenting group. It would be a bit dramatic though, y'know? Being contacted by a stranger and told your child's being mistreated by his nanny (because that's how it would come across, I'm sure). So what would you do? Should I just chalk it up to her having a bad day? Or try and get in touch with the parents? I just can't get it out of my mind.

Cindy34 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:49:54

How do you know they were a nanny? Maybe they were a temp? Maybe they were more a babysitter?

I think you really need to have said something to them at the time. Now that time has passed as you do not know the child's parents it will be very hard to contact them.

ShatterResistant Tue 18-Feb-14 09:01:41

You're right, it could have been a temp. But the question is not how I would contact them (I've already said I'm pretty sure I could) but whether I should?

Cindy34 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:07:30

I feel you should have said something to the nanny at the time.

I would wonder if you are now feeling guilty that you did not and thus now want to contact the child's parents. How would it help - would be one persons word against another. Thus why I feel you should have acted at the time, not observed and kept quiet.

AGoodPirate Tue 18-Feb-14 09:08:34

If you were the baby's mum, what would you want someone else to do?

Cakesnbeer Tue 18-Feb-14 09:10:03

Saying something at the time would make no difference especially if the nanny is mean. I would tell the parents, god I would be do grateful

ShatterResistant Tue 18-Feb-14 09:26:13

Actually, I didn't even think of saying something at the time, but you have made me wonder... I'm not sure it would have made any difference though, as a pp said. And yes, I'm sure I would definitely want to know. But would I want the drama of it coming from a complete stranger?

Timeforabiscuit Tue 18-Feb-14 09:50:43

I think I'd mention it to the parents, I'd certainly want to be told.

Pannacotta2013 Tue 18-Feb-14 17:46:02

If I was that child's mother, I'd want to know. Of course you can preface it with 'I wasn't sure whether to get in touch, I wouldn't normally get involved, if it was my child I'd want to know etc'. Good luck, you're doing the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now