Advanced search

Reporting an issue of domestic violence - advice please?

(8 Posts)
FleurPearl Sun 16-Feb-14 14:46:19

Last night my neighbour text me to say that her neighbours were having a blazing row and that she believed that the husband was hitting the wife. Well he was hitting her as she could hear her asking him to stop and him saying she deserved it. This morning she has seen her with lots of bruises. Apparently this has happened a number of times over the years. I didn't hear the incident or see the bruising. Both of us now aren't sure what to do. Should we contact the police or should we talk to her about it? Would contacting the police make the situation worse for her? Is there something else we could do? My neighbour has said that if it happens again she'll call the police but I don't feel completely comfortable with leaving it like that. I think I'm probably answering my own question here but if I did contact the police, seeing as I haven't heard anything or witnessed anything would they act upon it or does my neighbour have to be the one to report it. I already feel like I've left it too long to report it.

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:50:00

Do children live there?

tribpot Sun 16-Feb-14 14:51:35

Hopefully more experienced posters will be along but I'm not sure the police can act on hearsay. You didn't witness anything.

I think you need to encourage your neighbour to report it. Saying you'll wait til next time is the exact line that victims of domestic abuse use to explain why they haven't left. For some of them, next time will be the time they die. Your neighbour has witnessed other incidents in the past, so this already is 'next time'.

If your neighbour won't report it, I would inform the police yourself so at least it is on record.

FleurPearl Sun 16-Feb-14 14:52:10

Yes they do. A boy and girl.

FleurPearl Sun 16-Feb-14 14:59:03

tribpot - that's what i thought as I hadn't witnessed that I couldn't really do anything. I'll speak to my neighbour again and explain about reporting.

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:59:10

Report to ss, they in turn will inform the police.

Arkina Mon 17-Feb-14 07:13:38

The police WILL act on hearsay. If you pass on the details theyll contact the female concerned and see what she says. Even if she says nothing happened they'll probably make enquiries with neighbours.

Even if they cant press charges if there is a report of domestic violence at the address it means if there are any future calls it'll be flagged up.

tribpot Mon 17-Feb-14 08:01:31

That's good to know, Arkina. And with children being involved I think the OP has to act.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: