Talk

Advanced search

15 year old daughter invited to party where there will be alcohol

(19 Posts)
BlackLabrador Thu 06-Feb-14 15:04:45

What would you do?

I admit I was actually considering letting her attend with her friend and was going to collect them myself. She has quite a fear of the concept hangovers and allegedly no interest in actually getting drunk... But in light of this new craze that even so called responsible adults are taking part in all over Facebook I'm thinking no.. Definitely no..

Do you agree??

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 06-Feb-14 15:05:29

What's the new craze?

Hullygully Thu 06-Feb-14 15:09:09

I'd let her go. There's always alcohol, openly or not, at that age. I'd offer trust, ie, say that you know she is sensible and won't drink, and wouldn't it be a shame if she did because then you wouldn't be able to trust her and let her go to future parties.

Both my teenage dc (dd 15) go to parties where there is alcohol and they are fine.

BlackLabrador Thu 06-Feb-14 15:09:46

Oh sorry thought I was the last to know as I only cottoned on last night. People are "nominating" others to drink huge glassfuls of something.. It gets photographed/videoed and posted on Facebook etc.. And there seems to be dares involved. Once it was pointed out to me I found loads of it on my fb news feed.. So called responsible parents some of them!!! shock

Hullygully Thu 06-Feb-14 15:11:16

Isnt it NekNomination?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 06-Feb-14 15:12:19

Well, I would and did let mine go - just warn her to be sensible, not mix drinks, etc. All dd's guests were always pretty sensible, and would stop drinking in time to be relatively sober for being picked up at that age!

I think if you are collecting, in particular, it shouldn't be too worrying, but the first boozey party is always a bit nerve-wracking!

BlackLabrador Thu 06-Feb-14 15:15:51

Yes that's what I was thinking The Original.. But she is so petite that I dread to risk her getting hammered with my blessing (virtually) confused

And yes Hully that's it.. I forget the appropriate terminology grin but that's the gist isn't it? Is that what they're doing?

waltermittymissus Thu 06-Feb-14 15:17:46

It's NekNominations. Started off innocent enough, down a can of larger/glass of wine etc. get someone to video it and at the end of the video you nominate someone else to do it.

However, it's gone completely out of control with people getting more and more adventurous. We've had two deaths in Ireland so far because of it. One a 20 year old who downed a pint of whiskey and was found dead feet from his home at 5.30 am and one a 19 year old teen who necked his drink, jumped in a river and got swept away. His body washed up the next day.

However, OP that's not to say that they'll be playing it at the party or that she'll be 'nominated'. I wouldn't stop her going, I have teen neices and nephews who have refused their nomination!

fartmeistergeneral Thu 06-Feb-14 15:18:52

I'm in this position with my ds 15 this weekend!! What a strange idea to think of him at this kind of party with booze and peer pressure. Wishing him 5 years old again…...

curlew Thu 06-Feb-14 15:26:19

I don't think that many of them are actually doing it- there are always now things to terrorize parents with!

My pre- party talk. "Don't drink spirits- or if you do, never let anyone else pour you a drink- you have no idea how much vodka there is in that vodka and coke. Never, ever drink punch, or cocktails or any other sort of mixed drink. Alternate alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. Stop drinking at least an hour before I come and collect you. Look out for your friends, and make sure they look out for you. If you think you've drunk too much, or you think a friend has, ring me- I will come immediately and help you sort it out.. I won't be angry-I'm in no position to lecture teenagers about getting drunk. So call me"

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 06-Feb-14 15:34:47

Stupid teenagers have always drunk too much or dared one another to drink too much - it's not new.
Most teenagers drink too much once or twice (hopeful face) but usually, in my experience, enough to do some singing and snogging and calm down in time to leave.

Tell your dd to take some chewing gum and a can of deodorant - liberal application of both is apparently absolutely foolproof, sobering you up in seconds and making it impossible for your parents to tell you had a drink wink

curlew Thu 06-Feb-14 15:35:48

Also works for cigarette smoke, I understand.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 06-Feb-14 15:37:41

And the rest... hmm
Our front garden was full of boys giving themselves three coats of Lynx before walking home at party-chucking-out time last time.

AtYourCervix Thu 06-Feb-14 15:41:05

My pre-party talk....

1. Don't get pissed
2. If you do get pissed you will puke.
3. If you puke you will clean it up yourself.
4. Be sensible
5. Use a condom
6. If you get pregnant you will get stretchmarks, haemmorhoids, ruin your vagina and life.
7. Stay with your friends at all times.
8. If you need a lift home phone me.
9. Have fun.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 06-Feb-14 15:42:33

I'm with you on most of those, AtYour, though the problem is they will soon enough learn that it's actually quite easy to get pissed and not puke, isn't it?

Am not so sure about (6) though!

BlackLabrador Thu 06-Feb-14 15:44:39

Sitting here at work quietly crying with laughter over "ruin your vagina and life" gringringrin God.. I come running to mumsnet several times a year with dilemmas (as opposed to living on it as I used to, prolifically posting) and then forget how it makes me laugh!!!

AtYourCervix Thu 06-Feb-14 15:49:12

My form of contraceptive education seems to be working so far.

I describe to them in graphic detail all the really grusome bits about pregnancy and birth. Usually while they are trapped in the car, preferably with friends there too.

It works well with STIs too.

grin

GlitzAndGiggles Thu 06-Feb-14 15:56:23

I lived with my dad from 13 so when I was a bit older I'd go to all these piss ups sleepovers he'd ring me to see if I was slurring and if I was I had to go home grin. I'm 21 now and have mastered how to disguise a slur! I sound like a terrible human! Your dd will be fine just ring her every 10 mins to keep an eye ;)

fatfinger Thu 06-Feb-14 16:03:37

Curlew, your pre party talk is brilliant, I am memorising it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now