Talk

Advanced search

overwhelmed...in what order and timescale needed?

(7 Posts)
niddy Mon 03-Feb-14 20:45:18

Aiming to move from South East to North East purely for family pull. We both need new jobs, to sell and buy a house, get Dd in to local school.

DH is a teacher and would ideally like to start a job in new academic year in September if possible and Daughter start year 2 likewise.

It's almost impossible for DH to arrange interviews due to time and cost factors of unpaid leave, current commitment to student's and travel costs so considering taking risks on supply agency work. I'm intending to work for myself, obviously this will take time to become established.

I think we could just about manage 2 months without an income at a push. No more though.

Does this sound doable? Or are we deluding ourselves? Any experience or advice?

Nevercan Tue 04-Feb-14 17:55:38

Wow that is a hard one. I would forget about buying a house in that time and just move into a rented place initially until you find your feet and get jobs and sell your old place.
You can then look for a new place at leisure when you get to know the area

Nevercan Tue 04-Feb-14 17:57:50

Or could your husband finish his job and move in with relatives up there so he can attend interviews etc. and then you can join him when one of you has secured a job and has a definately income.

LeBearPolar Tue 04-Feb-14 18:04:23

Surely your DH is best advised to apply for jobs and attend interviews now? He's going to find it much harder to get a permanent position after the academic year has begun in September.

As a teacher, I would not want to be moving that distance without a job to go to.

Drquin Tue 04-Feb-14 18:33:12

Being comfortable for 2 months at a push with no income doesn't allow a lot of leeway for anything not happening on time. So what happens if two becomes 3 .......

I'd be considering selling up first. Then renting either here or there, or potentially both. Although I'd see if one or other of you staying with family was an option to save on one rent.

As a teacher, and I'm not (!), are there better times of the year to look for jobs? Same for your new work / enterprise - or is it something you could establish remotely? So, you kick off maybe advertising etc before you move?

SavoyCabbage Tue 04-Feb-14 18:54:19

I gave investigated moving to newcastle recently. I contacted supply agencies and they were biting my arm off. Some agencies offer guaranteed work, that's how desperate they are.

Every single primary school I contacted for my dds had spaces. In fact, I had lunch with a friend yesterday who just moved her three dc mid year into a really popular primary school.

niddy Wed 05-Feb-14 08:59:15

Thanks for your help. Relly appreciate your suggestions. Realise we need really to focus on job first and foremost. Have got relatives to put us up if need be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now