Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour waking us up at 3am

(9 Posts)
lottieandmia Fri 31-Jan-14 15:12:18

My neighbour, a man who lives alone and seems to keep very strange hours has been waking me up every night at 3am banging and crashing around in his house and with a sound like someone pouring stones onto a hard surface. This has been going on for about 6 weeks.

He had his basement converted into a kitchen last year, but for some reason there is a hole in the front of the house and it has flooded the kitchen. Why he had a new kitchen fitted when it was obviously going to flood and why nobody advised him about this is beyond me.

If he was trying to fix it in the day I wouldn't mind of course but I am starting to feel anxious and ill because of being woken up by this noise and I then have to be up at 6 am like most people. I spoke to him about it and it stopped for a week or two but has now started up again.

Is there anything I can do about this - what is the best way to handle it? I have bipolar disorder and have been better for some years, mainly because I know how to manage it and one important thing is that I get enough sleep.

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 15:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lottieandmia Fri 31-Jan-14 15:22:49

There are people the other side of him but they seem to be away a lot so I am not sure if it affects them.

ScrambledSmegs Fri 31-Jan-14 15:29:48

You should probably talk to him again, since it stopped the last time you mentioned it to him.

I think it's against the law to do noisy work between 6pm and 8am, but I think that generally refers to professional building work and use of electrical building equipment. You could always give Environmental Health or the Council a call to find out their stance?

Sorry I'm not very well informed on this.

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 15:31:07

lottieandmia Fri 31-Jan-14 15:38:25

Ok thanks. We don't own the house - we rent privately. I have read somewhere that you are supposed to write to your landlord if you are having trouble from the neighbours - anyone know if this is true?

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 21:50:02

lottieandmia Fri 31-Jan-14 22:53:12

Ah I see. We do have a contract so perhaps I should look at it. Or perhaps I should tell the landlord anyway. We are probably going to move soon if possible. The problem when you look at a house is that you don't know how things will pan out. Personally I find it odd that he is up in the middle of the night every night. Perhaps he is ill. He seems to be walking around all day and night. I am not a light sleeper either and not much wakes me so he must be making a lot of noise.

sicily1921 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:51:21

sorry to hear this OP, can totally sympathise as I am having similar trouble with my neighbour. What is he like when you speak to him about it? Reasonable? Does he say what the heck it is? How long does it go on for? do you think it's worth making a recording of it so he can hear how loud it sounds to you?

For my problem I have contacted environmental health dept who said they would first send a letter to the neighbour to get them to realise there was an issue. I hope it stops for you soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now