Talk

Advanced search

Ideas Needed: Upcycle Ikea Lack Coffee Table

(11 Posts)
CrispyCrochet Mon 27-Jan-14 21:01:37

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10065958/#/20104290

I have this coffee table. (Ikea Lack Birch Effect). My lounge is a hodgepodge of random furniture & nothing matches. My goal over the next year is to try and get a cohesive look in the room. no idea how My TV stand is another Ikea Lack piece (the corner TV bench) but it is black. So I wanted to make the coffee table match the tv stand.

So for £23 I could buy a black coffee table... (luckily there is an ikea in my town).

Or I'd like a relatively simple project to upcycle it. I hate the word upcycle

I was thinking of buying some washi tape (£1.69 on ebay) in various black & white colours and striping them over the table (you've probably seen this on pinterest if you are on there). I don't know how much table I would need and I'm also not sure about the longevity of a table covered with washi tape.

I also thought maybe I could decoupage the table with newspaper?

Or maybe paint it with chalk board paint?

WWYD?

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 27-Jan-14 21:04:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrispyCrochet Mon 27-Jan-14 21:13:20

Haha. Well I like that suggestion TheDrugsWork. I have a 7wo so if the lack tables last that long I will eventually have a child who plays on them... sorta why I was thinking the chalkboard paint might be good - I could doodle on it for now and then when DS is old enough he can scribble on it...

Loopylala7 Sun 09-Feb-14 01:33:47

Join Pinterest, they have some amazing ideas, always good for a bit of inspiration

ScentedScandal Sun 09-Feb-14 01:51:44

There are sites that have things to customise Ikea furniture: Mykea and another one which does fretwork you can put onto it. I really like the fretwork but it's in America so extra on postage.

Maybe you could tile the top? <mad idea probably, sorryblush>

MrsCakesPremonition Sun 09-Feb-14 01:56:01

Be very, very careful about doing anything that might lead a toddler to think that writing on furniture is a Good Idea.

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 09-Feb-14 02:00:36

Agree MrsCakes! I'm decoupaging my lack tables with wrapping paper in various prints, then varnishing with clear gloss to protect. May jot last for ages, but I'm hoping I'll want a change of pattern by the time it wears out.

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 09-Feb-14 02:00:50

*May not

YesIcan Sun 09-Feb-14 21:50:46

What cohesive look / theme have you in mind? Isn't hodgepodge a theme?

CrispyCrochet Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:20

Thanks for the replies! I thought this thread was dead!

Scented - I'll def check out those websites. Thanks. I like the idea of tiling the top but I do want a cheap fix & tiles might be a bit more than I'm willing to pay!

MrsCakes & Lynda you are probably right - don't want to encourage a small child to write on furniture! Although I know the Anne Sloan chalk paint is meant to just be good as it requires no prep - so could use it anyway. Also Lynda I had thought about decoupaging the table! I bought some washi tape & thought I'd cover the table in that but it was going to be pretty expensive.

YesICan I don't know what look I'm going for. I think I just need to make a few changes to try & tie my random pieces together. I'm just rubbish at this sort of thing. I'd love to open up the next home catalogue to the lounge section & just go "All of it please!" And completely redo my lounge... Maybe if I win the lottery!

Artandco Mon 10-Feb-14 10:26:53

Paint with black magnetic paint. Free toy in 6 months time onwards for those letter magnet things etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now