Advanced search

Quick help please, police? locksmith?

(36 Posts)
MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:07:07

I am in the middle of seperating from my H and he has locked me in the house. He always locks the door on his way to work but today I went to go out and my door key is missing from my keys. Embarassingly I don't know how many times he has done this because I don't get out on my own much.

I am panicking about not being able to get out in case of fire. I think this would be scary for a normal person but I have anxiety and I am here with a 3 month old.

Do I call the police or is that over reacting? A locksmith? Will/can a locksmith help you get out of a house? I have no cash here to pay him and cashpoint is about a 20minute walk away so what do I do? Call a locksmith and make him walk with me to a cashpoint like a twat? Or call the police and say what? "Nothing has happened but my door is locked, save me"

Would you just wait it out until H is home? (about 9 more hours)

I have tried kicking it down and picking the lock but not working.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 23-Sep-13 13:09:37

I would ring 101 and explain to them you are worried and trapped with a 3 month old. angry at your husband. After you have called them maybe you could ring women's aid and chat to them? I suffer with anxiety too, chatting on the phone may help?

hashtagwhatever Mon 23-Sep-13 13:11:32

your H had purposely locked you in? have you called him to open the door. sorry for stupid questions but im not sure I understand

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:15:05

He has taken my key so it must be on purpose. He is a knob.

Thank you for replying

NoMoreMadCatLady Mon 23-Sep-13 13:15:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiredtrout Mon 23-Sep-13 13:16:25

Report this to the police, use 101, you also need to have a look on the women's aid site, this is abuse, I'm sure that the police will help you. Also if you are seperating have a look at they will be able to help you with getting a non molestation order in place, it's a type of injunction, they may also be able to help with an occupation order which stops him being able to come into the house even if its in his name

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:17:40

Oh that's brilliant, I'll do that then. Thank you. I didn't really want to waste anyone's time especially not the police.

I thought about window but impossible while holding the baby and couldn't get in from outside to get her

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:18:40

really the police? nothing has actually happened though so what would they do?

SavoyCabbage Mon 23-Sep-13 13:19:50

You poor thing. It's a horrible feeling to be trapped, even if its in your own house.

I would ring 101 for advice. Hope you are ok.

hashtagwhatever Mon 23-Sep-13 13:22:12

ok I agree calling woman's aid when you manage to get out obviously. are you on the ground floor? could you put the baby out the window in car seat? then climb through yourself.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 23-Sep-13 13:22:14

Nothing has happened, really? He has locked you inside your house with no way of getting out. This is controlling and abuse. Something most certainly has happened. Hes abusing you sad I'd also say police.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 23-Sep-13 13:23:01

Ringing 101 (the non emergency number) means you get some support and advice, but more importantly, it means there is a log of what a manipulative, emotionally abusive, git he is.

And yes, do ring Women's Aid. Having their support will really help you. You can chat to them about your leaving plans and they can offer advice.

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:24:56

I can't really prove it, he will say "oh you lost your key, silly" that's probably what he will say to me when I question him later too.

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 23-Sep-13 13:25:42

Im going to find a locksmith and will think about women's aid later, thank you all

Kormachameleon Mon 23-Sep-13 13:26:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LilBlondePessimist Mon 23-Sep-13 13:26:59

Yes. Police. This is abusive - he has locked the door and taken your key, removing your freedom, and yes, putting you at higher risk from fire. (And I say this as very recent ex police). Please also take the advice to contact women's aid and remove yourself from thus situation as soon as possible, for both you and your baby's safety. Take care.

GobbySadcase Mon 23-Sep-13 13:28:02

My XH did this to me. During CBT (I had PTSD from that and other stuff) my psychotherapist said it was a crime to do that, not sure which but definitely domestic violence.

So I'd say call 101 and WA x

MrsGSR Mon 23-Sep-13 13:28:56

I doubt anyone would believe your house key fell off your keyring without you noticing.

Definitely ring 101, he's not just locking you in the house against your will, he's also putting your 3 month old at risk.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 23-Sep-13 13:28:56

But you haven't lost your keys have you, you have your keyring/bunch of keys but not the house key that's usually on it if I've read right. He's an absolute wanker! angry

Patilla Mon 23-Sep-13 13:32:49

Make sure that you pay for a third key from any locksmith and you can keep it in a secret place without your H's knowledge of it.

From my experience you tend to get two keys as standard if a lock is replaced.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 23-Sep-13 13:32:50

I'd say its a crime, surely its false imprisonment or similar?

Hope you're ok OP.

Tiredtrout Mon 23-Sep-13 13:41:06

It is a crime, it is abusive and something has happened. Please just call the police, honestly they will help you. Then have a look on women's aid at different behaviours especially coercive control. Please

InLoveWithDavidTennant Mon 23-Sep-13 14:27:26

agree with the others. locking someone any where against their will is a crime. you are with a child, and you have also had your key removed... this is not ok, at all! what if there was an accident or an emergency?

you may not consider it to be a big deal, for you... but what if something happened to your child? that thought surely should make you see sense

phone 101 now

clam Mon 23-Sep-13 14:46:26

Look, think about WHY he's done this, assuming it was deliberate? I read your other thread and he knows you want out and will take the baby when you go. So he's locked you in so you can't leave.
THE POLICE WOULD CERTAINLY BE INTERESTED IN THIS. As you say, supposing there was a fire, or you needed a doctor for you or the baby?
If not the police, what about Women's Aid?

mistlethrush Mon 23-Sep-13 14:50:43

Yes, your other thread certainly makes it clear that you need to get out. I would contact the non-urgent police line and find out what they say and also talk to WA about it at a later point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: