Advanced search

Does this add up?

(9 Posts)
Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 23:04:33

Thanks all , I'm not sure what to do. I might try to find out more but what happens at sixteen?

StaticSockMonster Sat 21-Sep-13 22:56:02

I have dealt with young people in the past who have had their own tenancies at 15. They were supported by organisations a lot but they were in their own name.
Where they were at risk from their families, had no one else to live with but were considered too "old" to be in care.

Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 22:49:08

Thank you - i will.

Hamwidgeandcheps Sat 21-Sep-13 19:02:47

I'm aware of it happening in the last decade after numerous placement breakdowns. It wouldn't happen in my authority now. I am a SW with that type of service. Pm me if you want

Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 19:01:08

Dh agrees it sounds odd - any ideas who to approach? I don't want to be nosy/ get involved/ I want to just know that this person is being looked after.

Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 13:13:27

That does help. I am concerned, but also aware that teenagers don't necessarily tell all to their mates. I might google to see if the place is a supported one first. Thank you.

hnl Sat 21-Sep-13 13:08:03

Short answer: no.

Long answer: This may have happened in the distant past but they shouldn't be getting away with it today. They would assess whether there was anyone known to the young person who could offer care - either relatives or friends. They would regard the latter as a private fostering arrangement and in either case they would expect the parent(s) / whoever has parental responsibilty to support the arrangement financially - even if this just meant that the carer claimed benefits for the young person.

If there was no one who would care for the young person then social services would either place them with a foster carer or in a residential home. They might find this hard to do if the young person was sofa surfing with various friends and didn't want to be in care but there is a legal requirement on them to make sure that young person is safe and cared for.

It is possible (but unlikely) that the young person might be offered a residental placement where they effectively have their own flat or bedsit within a communal building but there should be staff on site 24/7. These kind of places are usually just for young people who are above school leaving age and typically they are used to help care leavers prepare for independence.

If you believe social services have placed a 15 year old in a flat on their own please kick up a fuss about it. It shouldn't be happening.

Parents / people with parental responsibilty can't just abandon a 15 year old, even if that 15 year old refuses to return home. They would still need to give consent to plans for that young person's care.

Hope that helps.

Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 12:54:51

Bump - nobody know?

Nerfmother Sat 21-Sep-13 12:05:08

Would social services place a fifteen year old (family won't support them) in a flat alone? Can't post any more details as I don't want to identify the person and it's not local so I can't easily find out. Just concerned and obv don't want to leave something that might not be right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now