Talk

Advanced search

Daughters birthday present

(8 Posts)
Emz8369 Sat 18-May-13 21:35:21

My daughter (7 in july) said she wants a PSP and an ipod for her birthday so i text ex and suggested that i get the PSP and he get the ipod and he replied ok iwill have a look around at some stuff , i said want kind of stuff she already said what she wants and he said oh im going to get hera tablet. I told him no she too young for a tabletand there would be costs for internet and things that i cant afford so he said oh ok then i'll get her an ipod or mp3 player so he called last night to speak to the children (older daughter 10 and younger daughter) and when older daughter got off the phone she said to me that dad had told her not to tell me that he was getting younger daughter a tablet for her birthday.

Two issues here, 1) him encouraging daughter to keep things from me and 2) him going back on his word and just doing what he wants!
What would you do if he did get her a tablet? my two options are to send it back to him or sell it and give the money to daughter to spend on something else.

PandaG Sat 18-May-13 21:40:11

honestly? I personally think that tablets can be more sturdy than ipods, and easier for a younger child to use. Also you do often use internet with an ipod too.

agree that telling your DD to keep secrets from you is an issue however.

Emz8369 Sat 18-May-13 21:46:59

The ipod i suggested was one of the old ones that only plays music as that is the one she wants becuse her friend got one for her birthday.

girliefriend Sat 18-May-13 21:48:41

TBH I would let him get her what he wants to get her and just say to your dd you can have either the psp or an ipod.

It sounds pointless having a conversation with him even, maybe if he had asked for some ideas maybe you could have said 'well she did mention this...' but otherwise let him do his own thing.

You are right to be annoyed that he is asking your older dd to keep things from you and I would pull him up on that.

If there are cost implications involved in her having the tablet you need to point out to him that he will be responsible for covering those costs. it sounds like he has just found another way to annoy you tbh.

doublecakeplease Sat 18-May-13 21:49:22

Um - he's a parent too - why can't he choose what to buy for his child? There are lots of free apps to download...

RVPisnomore Sat 18-May-13 21:52:24

Sorry but he should be able to buy her what he wants. Let her download free apps.

Emz8369 Sat 18-May-13 22:00:53

girliefriend he has done it just to annoy me you are right it is pointless trying to have a conversation with him as he never listens, i would point out the cost implications out to him but he would not give me the money to enable her to use it so it would be useless tbh

Emz8369 Sat 18-May-13 22:02:59

doublecakeplease he had already said he was going to get her an ipod, yes thereare lots of free apps to download but you also need an internet connection to downloand and use them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now