Talk

Advanced search

Free on line guitar lessons

(13 Posts)
assparagus Tue 07-May-13 06:49:59

I just need a little advice, my little girl will be starting guitar lessons soonish, and at the weekend we came across a great ¾ size guitar for her to learn on at a good price so we bought it. But of course she now wants to play it. Does anyone know of any good free guitar lessons on the web for kids? I have had a quick look but some don`t seem that suitable ie not orientated for kids. She is only 8.

TheFallenNinja Tue 07-May-13 07:59:42

I guess it depends on what she wants to play. If its classical the she will need to learn to read sheet music, if its hardcore shredding then there are a zillion you tubers out there. If she's having lessons though, perhaps better to let the tutor teach good habits.

TheFallenNinja Tue 07-May-13 08:01:26

Oh, and its worth learning tablature. It's a more guitar oriented method of musical notation. It shows which finger goes on which string at which fret.

Roll on Smoke on the water smile

Jux Tue 07-May-13 08:11:45

No Stairway to Heaven grin

TheFallenNinja Tue 07-May-13 08:11:47

Ultimate-guitar.com has loads of up to date tabs and is community run, there is always a simplified version of most stuff so at least if she can get up and strumming to a fave tune it may hold her interest.

Thinking back to when I learned the biggest thing was sore fingers so don't be tempted to go for lighter strings (they're thinner and can struggle to hold tuning in enthusiastic hands) I used fast fret to lubricate the fret board which helps keep things slick and always wash hands before handling to lengthen the life of the strings (they rust eventually)

Buy plenty of plectrums, they vanish quicker than socks.

TheFallenNinja Tue 07-May-13 08:14:04

I do use martyzsongs on YouTube. He makes stuff fun, not sure if appropriate for an 8 year old, your call.

TheFallenNinja Tue 07-May-13 08:14:25

Stairway denied

assparagus Tue 07-May-13 19:39:56

Thanks for all the great advice does anyone know any good books to teach guitar to kids, just so she doesn`t loose interest before the lessons start.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 08-May-13 19:57:03

I would wait and let the teacher start off. So many people struggle getting to terms with instruments if they get into bad habits and anything practised a few times can become a habit.
I know she is eager and this is great, I also believe free lessons are free for a reason.

TheFallenNinja Thu 09-May-13 05:48:56

Books aren't really the ideal way to learn, great for theory (a book of scales is essential), video is much better, bad habits are easy to pick up, a good video tutor will keep these in check plus playing along is more engaging.

Give Dawsons in Chester a call, really helpful for this sort of thing.

assparagus Thu 09-May-13 14:18:33

Thanks for the advise again, I will probably wait now until she has proper lessons.

ajrod17 Thu 16-May-13 00:28:19

I found this article very helpful http://www.squidoo.com/reviewing-best-online-guitar-lessons This talks about online guitar lessons, which is the cheapest route to go. Instead of paying per lesson, you pay as low as $15 a month. I been playing guitar for over 15 years and private lessons are too expensive. Online guitar lessons are just as good as private lesson, because you get the different angles and demonstrations on how to play something.

ajrod17 Thu 16-May-13 00:30:26

sorry the link did't come up here it is:
www.squidoo.com/reviewing-best-online-guitar-lessons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now