Talk

Advanced search

WWYD regarding a disagreement?

(9 Posts)
freddiefrog Fri 26-Oct-12 12:47:24

I am on the committee of a local group that my children attend.

We have to have chair/vice chair/treasurer/secretary/etc

A couple of months ago our old Vice Chair stepped down, leaving the VC position open.

One person tentatively (call her X) volunteered to do it, but needed to look into it a bit more, have a think whether they'd have time, etc, etc. No one else stepped up and as I've been a VC before, I said I didn't mind doing it if X didn't want to do it, and no one else came forward.

Meeting last night - X announced that she was happy to take on the VC role. Now, X's husband has a business which supplies our group with equipment and our Chair said that she was concerned it might open us up to accusations of a conflict of interest, and as I'd kind of agreed to be VC, she'd like to nominate me. I felt a bit put on the spot so they decided to have a vote.

I won.

Now, all hell has broken out and X is very upset. Has accused the Chair of influencing people's votes, called the vote in to question and is generally upset and is threatening to step down from the committee

Now, part of me thinks I should just stand down and let her get on with it.

The other part thinks that, people voted for me rather than X so I should step up.

I feel a bit awkward tbh, I don't want to be the cause of someone stepping down - and finding volunteers to be on the committee is hard enough without losing people over stuff like this.

WWYD?

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sat 27-Oct-12 20:04:48

Let her get on.with it .Stroppy.mare

NotALondoner Sat 27-Oct-12 20:23:02

For whatever reason, people would prefer it if you did the job.

Viperidae Sat 27-Oct-12 20:24:36

Go with the majority decision and ignore her strop.

HeinousHecate Sat 27-Oct-12 20:33:54

People voted for you.

That means they would prefer you.

If this person wants to leave because of it, that's their choice.

you stepping down so that the group would be forced to accept someone that, through their vote, they are clearly telling you they don't want - makes no sense.

GrotMags Sat 27-Oct-12 20:41:29

Stay the committee voted and it should stand.

It's not your fault she's had a strop

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 27-Oct-12 20:45:05

Not your fault. I would contact her and say you really don't want her to step down, and she is a very valued member of the committee.

freddiefrog Sat 27-Oct-12 23:03:10

Thanks!

I feel really awkward. I'm not fussed if i do it or not, I only offered as a back up if you see what I mean, and I don't want to get involved in a row as silly as this.

She thinks that the chair's comments about conflict of interest influenced people's vote and she's offended as she feels the chair questioned her impartiality.

I wish I'd kept my mouth shut now.

I think I'll stick with it, they voted for me so I should, otherwise what's the point of a vote.

Thanks!

freddiefrog Sat 27-Oct-12 23:03:46

Oh, and I'll give X a call and see if we can come to a compromise

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now