Talk

Advanced search

Massive preschool mess up, by school, can they do this?

(4 Posts)
SushiPaws Mon 22-Oct-12 17:23:57

Best pal put her son on the waiting list for a preschool place at the school her daughter goes to in November. A month ago she got a letter saying he had a place and was due to start this Wednesday.

So she cancelled her private nursery, organised childcare with friends and relatives around nursery hours as she works part time. She's taken annual leave to settle him in and updated her wtc.

She told another friend about the place
who was also on the waiting list, they applied in January. The friend complained to the school that pals friend had got a place before them as their son is older. They were told it was a first come first served basis and they would probably get a place in January.

So earlier on today my pal got a text from her friend saying their son had a place. At the same time pal got a message on answer phone saying her son no longer had a place.

She called the school and they claim its a clerical error, nothing they can do. It's clear they have responded to the friends complaint by pulling one child and putting in another.

She's called the schools councillor and they have said there is nothing they can do end of story. They are going to send out info of other preschools which she can't do as her dd is in that school and it wouldn't work for pick up times.

My friend is in bits about this, can anyone offer any advice?

SushiPaws Mon 22-Oct-12 17:41:33

Anyone

TiAAAAARGHo Mon 22-Oct-12 17:45:41

Try the legal board. Possible that she could threaten to sue (they offered her a place, she acted upon the offer to her detriment, and now they are failing to follow through).

SushiPaws Mon 22-Oct-12 19:57:05

Thanks Tia, I'll pass that on. Don't think that even occurred to us, but she will loose out financially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now