Talk

Advanced search

WWYD: Buying house with potentially dodgy neighbours... or possibly not

(10 Posts)
Foshizzle Sat 20-Oct-12 10:36:32

DM buying house. Middle house in row of three. House on one side is starting to look bit dilapidated. Assumed was an elderly person, didn't really take much notice.

When DM asked the seller about the neighbours she said that on one side is friendly woman in her 50s, on the other side (dilapidated side) is couple in their 60s who "rarely go into the garden".

The thing is, it's not just dilapidated - it's as if they never leave the house. Half full milk bottles sit on the front doorstep for weeks (I pass the house occasionally, live nearby). There is a faded "Disabled" sign outside their house - as if someone once painted it themselves. Parking can be a bit tight on the road.

I can't put my finger on it, I just have an odd feeling.

Now they could just be eccentric but otherwise harmless. Could be neighbours from hell. Or somewhere in between.

So my question is what would you do? Would you do anything to investigate further? DH thinks DM should just buy the house hope for the best, but I don't think he appreciates how miserable it can be living next door to difficult neighbours, especially when you're on your own.

WWYD??!?

Foshizzle Sat 20-Oct-12 10:44:28

Or they could actually be disabled, which would explain a lot I guess. But does it need investigating do you think?

HeinousHecate Sat 20-Oct-12 10:48:48

I'd do some investigating. Do a few drive bys in the evening, see what the place is like at night. Go into the nearest shops and ask what the area is like.

I wonder if it is intrusive to actually knock at both neighbours doors, introduce yourself and say hi, we're thinking of getting the house next door, hope you don't mind my bothering you but we wondered if you thought this was a nice place to live. That way you get a feel for them without it seeming like you're trying to get a feel for them.

Yama Sat 20-Oct-12 10:49:27

Can your Mum go and ask the nice woman in her 50's. Seller may not be telling the whole truth.

smalltown Sat 20-Oct-12 10:50:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoobyMurray Sat 20-Oct-12 10:54:04

um, are they OK???

milk sitting on the doorstep could be a sign that they are not managing to look after themselves rather than being bad neighbours.

Foshizzle Sat 20-Oct-12 10:55:46

Thanks all, it's a lovely road. I live nearby and occasionally divert to go past the house on my way home. Have never seen anything untoward. It is simply that house.

I suggested something very similar to you Yama, that DM knocks on door of other neighbour and says she's hoping to buy the house next door, asks about the road itself and then just casually asks what the other neighbours are like. She'll have to have her antennae up for unspoken answer as well as the official one though. Don't know if that's putting the neighbour on the spot too much though...

Foshizzle Sat 20-Oct-12 10:58:08

Rooby yes that's what I thought, although the house has been that way for years . They could genuinely be disabled - that would also explain them painting the disabled sign in the road. But there are a number of potential unsavoury explanations for it also...

lisaro Sun 21-Oct-12 01:37:58

I don't get it? How would they be a problem if they hardly leave the house?

Foshizzle Sun 21-Oct-12 10:13:33

I don't know lisaro. They probably won't be. But they might be. I don't mean all night parties. I can't put my finger on it. I like Hecate's idea and am off to do exactly that this morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now