Talk

Advanced search

would you do this for your cleaner?

(6 Posts)
bananacarnival Fri 19-Oct-12 22:06:12

I've known my cleaner for a couple of months, she was passed on to me by another cleaner. Silly me, I haven't asked her for any of her details and have just had her over 4 or 5 times in the past few months.

A few days ago she asked if I wouldn't mind giving a reference, I said yes of course. This morning she sent me a long text message stating she needs my full name, and address.. For her 'invoices' that she has to send to UK border control to prove she is working. I've said that I would only be happy for my details to be used on,a personal basis but she insists that she is not misusing my info.

Would I technically be her 'employer' ? I've only had her over casually a few times and haven't committed to a fixed day as we.are struggling financialy.

My friend is warning me to steer clear as she's never heard of 'invoices' for cleaners, but perhaps I'm being paranoid?

Thanks

ThreeWheelsGood Sat 20-Oct-12 04:20:13

If she's self employed and you're paying her on the assumption she's sorting her own tax/NI, seems fine - maybe have a quick chat with an accountant to check what the status is? I don't see why it's weird for a cleaner to invoice you, in fact it makes it more legit than cash in hand!

chelseananny Sun 21-Oct-12 17:53:51

I don't know about that. If it is going to UK border etc I think you would be her employer and aren't you then responsible for her earning a certain minimum amount?

I would definately look into it!

MaeMobley Sun 21-Oct-12 18:12:15

The invoices per se are not dodgy. What is her nationality?

jendot Wed 24-Oct-12 19:05:18

This sounds fine to me...

If you are her only job-As long as you are not paying her over the minimum amount (around £90-£100 per week, can't think of the exact amount of the top of my head) then you have no obligation to be her employer or declare her as such to hmrc.

If she had other jobs- then if she is earning over the £90 ish limit then she should be declaring herself as self employed. If she earns under this amount then she does not need to do so.

Your domestic cleaner will not 'normally' fit the criteria to be an employee.

If she is self employed she will need your details to write up invoices for her accounts. If she has to prove she is working in order to meet her visa requirements then a reference/ invoice to you will most likely be her only option.

As a side note... I always take a copy of ID from my cleaners and if from outside the EU a copy of their visa (you can be fined huge amounts if you have a cleaner working for you who does not have the correct invoice).

jendot Wed 24-Oct-12 19:06:33

'correct Visa' not 'invoice' obviously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now