Talk

Advanced search

I want to buy ANOTHER bike -i'm i being stupid

(5 Posts)
lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Fri 19-Oct-12 11:19:46

Hi i dont know if i've put his in the right thread but:
I bought a new bike in july to replace my 10 year old basic cheapy halfords bike. Although i love my new bike and use it quite a lot, I've been a bit uncomfortable on it - i am tall with long legs and keep bashing my knees on the front bit of the "V"; i had a water bottle holder on it and i kept getting bruises from knocking my knees on it, so i've had to take that off. The other thing is when i get off the bike i catch my foot in the bottom bit of the V.

When i was on holiday in germany recently, i noticed that their bikes are different to british bikes, the configuration is different - more space in the frame if this makes sense to you. I've been looking at the bikes since i got home and realise that what i want/ need is whats called a "low step bike" (you can google them) They are similar to dutch bikes too.

I have found what i want in a local bike shop, but my problem is that i have a brand new 300 plus quid bike that isn't quite right for me sitting at home

Am i being stupid wanting to buy it (i can just about get the money together for it) - should I just put up with it? Could i sell it and not make too much of a loss on ebay etc could i put it in as part exchange for the new one?

Thistledew Fri 19-Oct-12 11:25:48

There is a rule with bike ownership. The number of bikes you should have is calculated mathematically in two ways : n+1 (where n is the number of bikes you have already) and s-1 (where s is the number of bikes that would cause you and your partner to separate).

Look at it this way -if you have a bike that fits you properly and you enjoy riding, you will use it more. It will be an investment in your health and fitness.

You may be able to part exchange your bike if you go to a local bike shop, although it does not sound like you have been given good advice on getting a bike to fit you so far, so I would shop elsewhere if I were you.

dabdab Fri 19-Oct-12 11:29:31

Yes, you should sell it and use money for new bike. Difference between comfortable and uncomfortable bike is massive. Comfortable bike = less environmental pollution, better health for you, less cost, good modelling to children / partner / friends etc. Uncomfortable bike = £300 wasted sitting in the garage.
I used to have a low step through Dutch bike and I loved it!

steppemum Fri 19-Oct-12 11:40:23

sell the one you don't like and get a test ride on the new one before you buy it. Comfy bike= used bike. Uncomfy bike=sits in the shed

lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Fri 19-Oct-12 11:59:08

Yes, you're right,Thank you smile
i needed to hear what you'd got to say. I ended up with a badly bruised elbow from falling off my bike when i got off it awkwardly so its not good for me
The fact that i keep searching on the web got bikes all the time is an indication of my dissatisfaction with my current bike - no matter how good it is, it isn't right for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now