Talk

Advanced search

about my Dad

(4 Posts)
gallifrey Mon 15-Oct-12 23:49:57

cut a long story short my parents split up about 20 years ago, my Mum kept the house and remarried my Dad split up with his new girlfriend and ended up living in the summer house on his parents farm.
His father died and left the property to my dad's 2 sisters and he got nothing!
His sister threw him out and he came and lived with us. However he is a bloody piss head and spends every spare minute down the pub, and used to often come home drunk and try to start cooking at midnight setting off the smoke alarm etc. It was a nightmare and we managed 3 years before he moved out and lodged with his friend.
He has since fallen out with the friend and has moved his stuff out and put it in our garage and has been staying with my sister.
He is supposed to move into a rented house and sharing with someone but because he has such bad credit history he needs a guarantor and has asked us!
He is a plumber by trade but hasn't has any work for ages other than the odd job and is basically broke, still has money to go to the pub tho!

I am really worried that if we do act as guarantors for this house then he probably won't be able to pay the rent and we will be liable even though we certainly don't have the money to pay it.

quoteunquote Tue 16-Oct-12 00:16:31

Do not do it, you will end up paying the rent.

Has he applied to all the local housing associations?

Is he depressed? Only asking because lack of work motivation,drinking, unable to maintain family relationships, if so is he getting help?

gallifrey Tue 16-Oct-12 00:31:56

I'm not sure what he is doing, every now and again he shows up at my house with forms for me to fill in for him to get housing benefit etc
I lent him the £150 holding fee for this house which he will probably lose if he can't get a guarantor.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was depressed tbh, he has had some real bad luck recently and seems a bit down.
He was really pleased at getting a house at last and also he has applied for a proper job too. I'm hoping things are looking up for him at last.

quoteunquote Tue 16-Oct-12 00:47:30

well then have a proper talk with him and see what is really going on, if he can get housing benefit then you shouldn't have to pay out, go with him to the local housing benefit office and see if they can offer support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now