Advanced search

To buy or travel?

(4 Posts)
IrritaGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 11:54:50

We're in the process of selling our house and have an offer on a new place, although still in the early stages of paperwork. But, my OH has had health problems over the past few months - nothing life-threatening (at least, not that we know of - we're still waiting for some test results), but it's affected his work and strained our relationship somewhat. He told me recently that he's been really unhappy recently. We have a small toddler.
We've spoken before about jacking it all in and travelling for a few months, but then life has got in the way. Now we're seriously considering it again, but don't know if we're being irresponsible, impulsive, reckless, etc.
We have enough in savings to tide us over for a while and fund a six month break - nothing glam, maybe a remote-ish cottage in the Highlands or somewhere scenic and then OH will probably look at contracting.
I love the idea of spending some time together as a family, being active and having the time to enjoy life.
BUT, our new house is in a nice area (and they don't come up often there in our price range), we have family and friends here and I'm worried that we're taking a huge gamble.
Any advice?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 11-Oct-12 15:31:31

Move and sort out your marriage from a point of stability.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 11-Oct-12 15:33:34

Can you buy the house, let it and let the rent fund both mortgage and travels?

IrritaGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 18:23:47

Thanks for your replies. We've had another chat this evening - we've spoken about nothing else the past few days! - and decided that we'll probably go ahead with the purchase and then try and take some time out next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now