Talk

Advanced search

Canine surprise.....and big fat gob!

(3 Posts)
coolmango Thu 11-Oct-12 00:00:31

My DP, (who is wonderful in every other way than his big fat mouth), and I have decided to get a dog.

Straightforward you may think.......

DP has told DSD that we are getting one between now and Christmas.

I think this is too soon as we still need to decorate AND decide if we are going to stay here at all, (currently renting and the house feels too small for DD3, DS13, and DSD 8.

I pay all the food bills and feel it is unfair to add another 40 - 50 a fortnight to this without prior consultation.

DP & DSD actually came back from a dog shelter 6 mths ago and announced he had found the dog we were getting. I said no as DP works away for 2 weeks at a time and DSD visits once a fortnight or 3 - 4 days. We also have her in the holidays for weeks at a time.

DP's argument is that he has promised her a dog and he does not want to break his word.

My arguement is that..

1. DD3 is terrified of dogs and will need acclimatising to this. (mAY TAKE TIME).

2. It will be me that primarily walks, feeds, picks up poop, trains the dog.

3. I will be working so DS 13 will have to help with the above.

4. I have certain rules that he has dismissed about said dog not being allowed upstairs, on furniture, at the dining table whilst eating etc....

5. We can't get a puppy, as cute as they are, because I don't have time to train it.

I am so angry that he told his daughter we would have a dog by Christmas that I feel like sabotaging the whole thing, esp. when he has said she can pick the dog.......that I will be looking after!!????

I am so sick of hearing DSD say every week......when are we getting a puppy..... and DP taking her to see them. She then falls in love with one and expects him to take it home and is disappointed.

Why can't DP take the usual route of we will see, instead of predicting stupid timelines that I am expected to go along with.

************should point out that I was raised with Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and Yorkshire Terriers. The yorkies were the worst for aggression and I would not have one in my house with kids again.***************Would def. have another Rotty or German Shep though. Fantastic with kids***

coolmango Thu 11-Oct-12 00:13:09

Sorry for another 'update'. My DD3 loved dogs till about 8 weeks ago. She said a brown dog had tried to 'get' her. I have no more info on this as her dad denies all knowledge.

ParsleyTheLioness Sat 13-Oct-12 07:35:54

You need a talk with DP. I think he should at least go halves with you on dog expenses. And agree doggy rules. I would suggest you get the dog the dog insured as well as vets bills can be enormous <voice of bitter experience>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now