Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kids sent to school (probably) with a sickness bug

(4 Posts)
Arcadie Mon 08-Oct-12 22:36:46

Apologies if this has been done to death but I'm having a dilemma.

Saw a mum at the school gates this afternoon who I'm friendly with. She has a 4ish month old and two older DCs. She looked like death - green in the face, looking like she was about to pass out. Said she had food poisoning. I've just recovered from a D&V bug and only too well remember that DH had to take a day off work because I was absoutely incapable of looking after my DCs. So I took hers off for an after school play including coming back to my house for a bit.

On the way home to her place to drop her DCs off (as her DH had come back) her DC1 (4 1/2) tells me that he was sick THREE times last night. I queried to make sure he'd understood the time frames (mine are forever saying yesterday when they mean a week ago) but he was adamant. Definitely sick. Definitely three times. Definitley last night.

Mentioned this to her DH when I dropped them off - his response was "what, sick again today?" Me: "No he'd said last night" Friends's DH "Oh yeah - yeah he was a few times." Me: Stunned silence followed by pathetic and weak "Oh gosh I hope you guys don't all come down with it. Sounds like your DW doesn't have Food Poisoning, sounds like she's got a tummy bug."

So (and if you're still with me, kudos) do I say anything to her? To school? To a member of staff I'm very good friends with so it's under the radar and not "officially complaining"? Do I keep my nasty judgmental beak out? I'm incensed that she'd risk half the brand new reception class coming down with a really nasty tummy bug just so that she doesn't have to look after her DC, when her DH could easily take a day off. I'm also quite sad that she'd not mention her son being ill and allow me to take her kids home and look after them thereby putting MY family at risk of this as well. But mostly I'm concerned for the school kids and think that she should know it's out of order.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 08-Oct-12 22:40:21

WWID? I'd keep my beak out and hope my DC didn't come down with it

nancy75 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:41:14

I bloody hate parents that do this, my dd got a d&v bug when she was younger and ended up in hospital. I don't know what you can say to the school but I would certainly say something to the mum, I would be really angry if someone knew their child was I'll and had still let me look after them.

Arcadie Mon 08-Oct-12 23:06:12

Funnys thank you - there's a good chance that my total fear of confrontation will lead to exactly that outcome.

nancy75 any hints or tips on how to broach a subject like that without appearing to be every bit as cross as I am slightly peeved?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now