Talk

Advanced search

DH drinks & drives - should I whistle blow?

(215 Posts)
abbdabb Tue 11-Oct-11 21:38:47

... and if I do, can it be anonymous?

Don't know what to do, how much is too much?

DH can drink a large amount & not appear to be drunk. he then drives. I have told him he should take a taxi, he tells me he is OK to drive because he has had something to eat.

What are the limits? I, personally would not drive after having ANY alcohol - maybe I'm being a bit anal about the whole thing?

FreckledLeopard Tue 11-Oct-11 21:40:34

What's a large amount? Personally, anything over 1-2 glasses of wine is risky. Yes, you can report anonymously.

rubyslippers Tue 11-Oct-11 21:40:49

You aren't anal

He could kill or injure someone

The limits are lower than you think -

I would hide his car keys if he goes out

I would be raging if I was you

You can call the police if you know someone is drinking and driving

jkklpu Tue 11-Oct-11 21:42:10

Take the keys. He could kill or injure someone else, not only himself. Where's he going? Are you a driver, too, and you could take turns when you go out?

FrightNight Tue 11-Oct-11 21:46:21

You could ask my mum. Her dad was killed by a drunk driver.

Meglet Tue 11-Oct-11 21:48:33

Tell the police.

I wouldn't drive after a mouthful of wine and am very intolerant of people who do.

thisisyesterday Tue 11-Oct-11 21:49:34

yes, of course you should report him

he's a fucking moron. please report him before he ends up killing someone.

GiganticusBottomus Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:06

Yes, report him. I wouldn't want to be you if he mows down a load of people at a bus stop and you could have stopped him.

abbdabb Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:22

Do I phone the local police station number - how does it work?

This is a frequent thing.

Is half a bottle of red & a meal too much, does it depend on an individuals capacity etc?

PattySimcox Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:53

Yes. Unquestionably. If you can't physically stop him - either talking him out of it or taking the keys away then yes you need to report him.

My friends mum and sister were in a car that was hit by a drunk driver when she was a child. Her mum died and her sister lost her sight and had other injuries. Please don't let anyone else suffer this.

jade80 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:55

Before you report him, print off a list of the allowed limits and what this equals in what he normally drinks. Anything more than a couple of pints over a couple of hours will put him over the limit. Show him the penalties for being caught- loss of licence for at least a year etc etc. Then if he does it again, shop him. If he's been doing it for years he's probably just never caught up with current thinking and laws on it and doesn't 'get' the consequences. It didn't have the same stigma in the past, it sounds like he's still caught in the same way of thinking.

JeanBodel Tue 11-Oct-11 21:53:34

You should whistle blow, yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

KarlaFromMoscowCentre Tue 11-Oct-11 21:54:28

You need to ask? Blimey.

I think police would look out for car reg and stop him as if by coincidence.

slartybartfast Tue 11-Oct-11 21:55:56

but why would you want to report him, make him lose his license? get a fine?

you shoudl talk to him but report him hmm?

slartybartfast Tue 11-Oct-11 21:56:44

who is in the car?
you
your dc?

dont allow the dc in the car and dont get in teh car.

abbdabb Tue 11-Oct-11 21:57:44

He thinks he is above the law.

I think I can't allow him to do this.

Jade - allowed limits - where do i find this - they seem to differ.

this has been going on for years.

BertieBotts Tue 11-Oct-11 21:58:10

Individuals don't have different capacities for drink - the amount he feels the effects will be different to how someone else might feel them, but the drink-drive limit is about the level in his blood. A meal won't make any difference, only time.

You can buy breath testing kits in Boots if you think he's actually unaware rather than deliberately flouting the law. Half a bottle of wine will almost definitely put him over the limit.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 21:58:50

Slarty - why the hell would she not report him??

She's talked to him about it, he's ignored her.

I'd be telling the police and then i'd tell him that i'd shopped him.

jade80 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:59:04

BTW working on assumptions, half a bottle of red would be anywhere from 4-6 or maybe slightly more units. It clears from the blood at about 1 unit per hour. Meal is irrelevant. It's hard to say how many units is ok, but I think anything over 3 would probably be dodgy ground. Depends on the individual though, how big he is, metabolism etc. So it'd be at least 3 hours and quite possibly more before he's ok to drive.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Oct-11 21:59:16

He is putting his life at risk
He is putting your life at risk
He is putting anybody else's life at risk
He is putting his livelyhood at risk
... and yours, and anybody else's.
... and the health of all those people.

1/2 a bottle of wine is far too much.

I would ring local police. They'll know what to do. I am sure if you say you want to report something anonymously they'll respect that. Can you use a phone box?

GiganticusBottomus Tue 11-Oct-11 21:59:21

Slarty - it sounds like OP has spoken to him and his incredibly arrogant answer is that he can handle it. If he is so much as 1 mg over the limit he will be banned for a year and fined. If he's not over the limit maybe being stopped by the police might give him the giant kick up the arse that he needs to stop drinking and driving.

BertieBotts Tue 11-Oct-11 21:59:36

Ah xposted. So he does know he's breaking the law but thinks he won't get caught. Then report him if you can't take his keys - they won't tell him it was you. Just give his reg number and rough location.

slartybartfast Tue 11-Oct-11 22:00:24

a breath testing thign from boots sounds a good idea. imo

jade80 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:00:55

Allowed limits are not done per unit, but by how much is in blood/urine. So you can't really equate it directly. See here

''What is the drink driving limit?
In the UK the drink driving limit is:

35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath; or
80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood; or
107 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine.

How many units can I drink before driving?
The legal drink drive limit cannot be safely converted into a certain number of units, as it depends on a number of factors to include gender, body mass and how quickly your body absorbs alcohol into the blood stream.

Can drinking coffee or having a cold shower help to sober me up?
No, drinking coffee or having a cold shower will not sober you up as this does not remove alcohol from your blood stream.

How long do the effects of alcohol take to wear off?
On average it takes one hour for a healthy liver to process one unit of alcohol. However, it does depend on your body mass, gender and how much food you have consumed. Even if you feel fine after drinking heavily in the evening there is still a high possibility that you will be above the legal limit should you drive the following morning.

What constitutes a unit of alcohol?
One unit of alcohol is 10ml (1cl) by volume or 8g by weight, of pure alcohol.''

Any help?

Bossybritches22 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:01:06

Do you have DC's abbdabb?

Threaten him with reporting if he puts them & you in danger.

Tell him HE may think he is OK but even if he IS, if someone else makes a mistake & he crashed he will be stuck with drunk driving, and how would he feel if it was his family?

Just refuse to get in the car until he hands over the keys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now