Talk

Advanced search

work choice = safe permanent job / interesting freelance work - WWYD?

(3 Posts)
SarfEasticated Fri 07-Oct-11 23:52:17

So I am currently freelancing for a large publishing house, and they may offer me a perm job, good benefits and possibly flexible working for when my dd starts school. The job is very hands off, and possibly dull, but the people are nice and I think I could do well there.
Alternatively, I have a variety of freelance jobs I could do throughout the year, all very hands on for small companies, money very good but no long term security.
I have no idea which to choose. My DH has a steady job so we can take a bit of a punt on it. Should I experience a big company for the first time in my life, improve my cv and get some job security for once, or should I take the risk and freelance for small independent companies as I have done for the last 12 yrs.
wwyd?

Jix Wed 12-Oct-11 18:31:06

Do the interesting work no question. This is your life and unless there is severe financial stress (which there doesn't seem to be) go for the job that will keep you motivated and happy. It will benefit you, your husband and your dd too. Nothing more important than a happy mum imo!

WilsonFrickett Fri 14-Oct-11 13:54:45

I'd go for the job - I am exactly opposite to you in that I've done the ten years in a big company and am now freelancing. I think it will be a great opportunity to see over the other side of the fence and it will potentially improve lots of your skills even if the work isn't that enthralling on the surface - team work, negotiation, organisational awareness (aka 'office politics'), project management etc etc etc. You can always leave after a year if you find that you do prefer the buzz of freelancing.

Also, even if the intial work is dull, you never know where it will lead to in a larger business, you might find that you end up doing something completely different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now