Talk

Advanced search

Perfect job, full time or settle for less perfect job with family friendly hours? WWYD?

(5 Posts)
LowLevelWhingeing Mon 03-Oct-11 14:28:02

I have recently gained a professional qualification and have been launched into the job market. Unfortunately, I couldn't have timed it worse and there is massive competition for the few jobs available. sad

I have an interview for my ideal job in a great team, but it's full time and I had wanted part time/job share while my kids are youngish so that I can be around for some school runs, homework etc.

The alternative would be to take a part time job in an unqualified position, but then I worry that I'd be 'out of the game' and would struggle to gain a qualified position in the future.

So, WWYD? Take any old job? Focus on family-friendly? Focus on getting a job in the ideal field? aaaaaaagh!

DizzyKipper Fri 07-Oct-11 15:22:29

Go for the interview. You'll be in a better position to decide what to do if and when you get the job. In the meantime continue applying for any and all jobs you consider appropriate - whether they be relevant to your qualification or not.

Trills Tue 11-Oct-11 23:13:12

Definitely go for the interview and see.

If they offer you the job you could enquire about reduced hours, or about working 5 days' worth of hours over 4 days.

MidsomerM Wed 12-Oct-11 13:48:14

how old are your children?

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 12-Oct-11 14:16:45

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I went for the full time, ideal field, job interview, thinking I didn't want it. Then didn't get it and felt totally gutted! sad

(My kids are in reception and yr 1 Midsomer)

I think not getting this job has really shown me that I do want a job that fits my skills and knowledge and in the current climate, I would be lucky to get anything really. I think I really do need to feel fulfilled and happy at work...

But then DP says to me, "but you want part time!"

DP also works away a fair bit, so that's a consideration too.

I guess, it's a moot point at the moment anyway as there are no other jobs on the horizon for me just now. AAAGh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now