Talk

Advanced search

Is it really bad form to turn up at the purvey but miss the church service?

(12 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Sep-11 19:04:07

Just found out that an old friend's mum has died and the funeral is on Friday. I need to take my mum to a hosp appointment, so I probably won't make it to the funeral service. Is it really really bad form to go along to the purvey to see the family? Is it worse or better than not going at all?

ginmakesitallok Wed 28-Sep-11 19:06:04

the purvey???? Do you mean the "after funeral do" If so then I'd go to the "purvey"

AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Sep-11 19:20:42

Yeah, the sausage rolls and sherry afterwards.

ArmageddonOuttahere Wed 28-Sep-11 19:29:49

I have never heard that phrase! I'd go to the purvey but I'd drop a text to my bereaved friend beforehand to check that was OK, out of courtesy. I'm sure it will be.

AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Sep-11 19:35:10

I think it's a Scottish word, but I had a mental blank and couldn't remember what else to call it. (What else do you call it?)

Good idea to check first. I might even be able to slip into the church halfway through. Thanks both of you.

scottishmummy Wed 28-Sep-11 19:36:57

aye just go the purvey offer condolences. purvey are good opportunity to talk,get some food to calm nerves.

purvey is a good lanarkshire/weegie phrase

scottishmummy Wed 28-Sep-11 19:39:03

purvey aka a spread.food usually funeral but can be christenings,wedding a spread at a do

fortyplus Wed 28-Sep-11 19:42:02

Do after a funeral is a wake

I would contact your friend and just explain - I'm sure she'll appreciateyou coming along to support her smile

scottishmummy Wed 28-Sep-11 19:43:06

the food after funeral is a purvey.wake is the gathering,may or may not have a purvey.wake and purvey are completely different

AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Sep-11 19:50:45

In my mind, a wake is a sad occasion, whereas a purvey's usually a sociable affair.

fortyplus Wed 28-Sep-11 21:02:34

I must admit I thought of wake as sad - in fact the quiet mourning of the deceased before the funeral - but it's slipped into more general useage as the social gathering afterwards. I hadn't come across purvey except in the sense of a verb meaning to be a provider of goods

AgentProvocateur Thu 29-Sep-11 10:19:36

definition. Just in case you ever want to use it, fortyplus, wink it's pronounced "purvi" when it's used as a noun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now