Talk

Advanced search

Not what would you do what will you do about nursing care in hospital?

(9 Posts)
tirednurse Tue 27-Sep-11 13:00:33

I've changed my nickname to hide my identity I post on other areas. I am a nurse with nearly 30 years experience. Everybody needs to be aware that the standard of nursing that your family will receive if they are admitted to hospital is is at best sub standard and at worst life threatening. If something is not done soon then the situation will only get worse. Nurses have never been angels but now they are in many cases actually putting patient lives at risk. YOU the general public need to speak out because it could be your mother/father/son in hospital receiving this so called care,

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 27-Sep-11 15:40:44

That is one of the reasons I left nursing. The last time I worked in a hospital was about 15 years ago, I then did two in a hospice and left to live overseas.
I am not in any rush to do a year long return to nursing course.

An0therName Wed 28-Sep-11 14:05:11

if there are things you know about please can you report them - I am presuming there are whistleblower policies etc
sorry but relatives are not usually in a position to know when things are dangerous or not -
and also not normally in a mental position to argue the case

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 28-Sep-11 14:43:39

Not really, I haven't worked on either a general surgical or medical ward for about 14 years.

An0therName Wed 28-Sep-11 14:53:32

aimed at OP

DizzyKipper Fri 07-Oct-11 15:55:19

How can I actually do something I don't at the present know anything about? If a family member gets admitted to hospital I can report poor standards as and when I observe them, not before. When my father was in hospital (and also being in the social and health care sector) I was very highly tuned to the level of care he was receiving and would have stepped in if I felt it was necessary, which fortunately it wasn't. Do you just want all people across the UK to start complaining immediately, with or without cause?

I'm a bit nonplussed at the almost accusatory tone of your posting, as if poor nursing standards is the fault of the general public. Could you please specify, beyond reporting poor quality if and when we see it, exactly what you expect us to do?

By the way I did not vote in the current idiots who are demolishing our health care.

RabbitPie Wed 19-Oct-11 22:43:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Holdmyhand Wed 19-Oct-11 22:53:23

Op - has something specific happened that you are concerned about or is it general concerns? What have you done about your concerns? You can report concerns anon. Or thru whistleblowing to hospital managers or CQC.

LittlePushka Wed 19-Oct-11 23:36:39

Ok,..this ranks up with..
all builders are cowboys
all lawyers are sharks
all teachers are incapable of educating
all carsalesmen are dishonest
all unemployed folk are idle.

Quite ridiculous.

If you know of amy malpractice you should do something about it.

Or don't and don't complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now