Talk

Advanced search

If you are Jewish and your other half is Catholic?

(14 Posts)
Sim2 Tue 27-Sep-11 06:58:51

Has anyone got any advice about how best to handle this..my husband wants to have our daughter christened which is hard as I would prefer her to grow up and make her own mind up..has anyone brought a child up both religions??thanks..

Sanesometimes1 Tue 27-Sep-11 23:56:06

difficult one, tbh I think you both need to sit down and decide which religion you want your child to be brought up in - it will be far too confusing to do both!, so one of you will have to take a back seat ( religion wise), surely you must of discussedd this before you married/decided to have children?

Sim2 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:22:32

Yep and we decided to bring it up both but the catholic religion has more actual ceremonies to go through ie christening and then first communion whereas it would be better to teach then both and let the child decide..
I just wanted to know if anyone had dealt with similar issues..

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 28-Sep-11 20:33:30

Firstly, you can't backtrack just because Christianity has its ceremonies earlier than Judaism. What would you have done if your DD was a DS, would you be arguing over whether the boy was christened before his bris or after?

Ultimately, you can't bring the child up both religions except culturally. I doubt very much there is a vicar in the land who would confirm a child lined up for their bat mitzvah so one or both religious observances have to be ditched.

Sanesometimes1 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:27:09

Totally agree with gwen one or both of them has to be ditched !

Sim2 Thu 29-Sep-11 13:24:27

I was hoping for advice from people who have actually managed to bring kids up knowing about both religions as I think it should be possible.. One person ditching their religion isn't an option and I think my post was misinterpreted as we are working together to make it possible..

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 29-Sep-11 13:30:40

Knowing about both religions and being both culturally Jewish and culturally Catholic is perfectly possible, practising both religions isn't. It's unclear from your post which you are hoping to do.

Sanesometimes1 Thu 29-Sep-11 23:40:39

Agree again, your child just can't belong to/practise both religions at the same time! surely you must see this ? fwiw I was not suggesting you or your husband ditch your beliefs !

tryingtoleave Sun 02-Oct-11 12:58:39

It's not possible to be Jewish and Catholic. Unless you become Jews for Jesus, which probably won't make anyone happy.

tryingtoleave Sun 02-Oct-11 12:59:44

Did you name your baby in the synagogue? That would have come first, if they let you.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Sun 02-Oct-11 13:23:09

I agree that you can culturally bring your dd up as both but not practicing. By that I mean that you can bring them up to reserve both holidays and celebrations but they will not be able to have christening and communion or any of the Jewish equivalents.
I would have imagined that to bring her up and educate her on both without these things that make her a member of that particular religion and church would be the only way to offer her both but still allowing her to choose.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 03-Oct-11 18:03:15

Am I the only one concerned about the amount of guilt that this child is going to suffer? Jewish and Catholic, oy indeed!

To answer your question, I have a friend, Jewish mother, Catholic father. He is Jewish, not Catholic (he is v clear on this), but largely because his mother, although n/o was more observant than his father.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 03-Oct-11 18:52:40

grin grin

tryingtoleave Tue 04-Oct-11 00:04:07

but maybe they can go and and get absolution from a priest for breaking the 600 or so Jewish commandments? Then it could all work out...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now