Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At bedtime with sick baby?

(26 Posts)
pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 21:55:10

My 9 month old has a sickness bug, can't keep anything down. We co sleep and he often wakes/feeds back to sleep. What the he'll do I do tonight? If I carry on as normal we'll all be covered in vomit in the morning

SheWhoMustNotBeFlamed Sat 24-Sep-11 21:57:03

I don't know the answer but am wishing you luck.

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 21:58:44

you just have to brave the puke i'm afraid!

cover the bed with a few big towels (layer them so if one gets sick on you just peel it off and another is underneath)

keep something at hand to um, mop yourself up with.

hope he's better soon though, sick bugs are the WORST!

pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 22:05:44

Thank you. Will definately 'towel up'. Argh I'm dreading it! I'm sat here with him sleeping on my knee freaking out everytime he flinches :-/

TheSkiingGardener Sat 24-Sep-11 22:19:43

Towel up, have a HUGE stack of muslins by the bed and a bowl. You will probably wake just in time.

Been there, done that.

Good luck.

BertieBotts Sat 24-Sep-11 22:28:01

Mass amounts of towels, agree! If you have a waterproof mattress protector this is where it comes into its own, too. Sleep in as little clothing as possible (you and him) - easier to wipe down skin than keep changing PJs, especially if he's sleepy and grumpy - and keeps it out of his hair as much as possible.

Don't attempt to catch sick in a bowl at this age. Towels again are your best bet. Just make sure you add a prewash to the wash cycle, to rinse off as much of the residue before the actual wash goes on. Wash at 60 or higher to kill any bugs, too. Hopefully he's not eating too much in the way of solids? If you're breastfeeding by the way, it's best to offer this as much as he wants it as it's the best thing to stop him becoming dehydrated. Even if he throws it straight up, he'll still be getting some goodness from it.

I have actually just made up beds on the living room floor out of blankets and towels and anything else layerable and washable before, just to minimise the effect on the bed. TBH though, I would say stay up as late as you can stand, I find once you get to about 2 or 3am, tiredness wins over sickness and they tend to sleep through then, even if they don't usually. Agree with the previous poster who says you often magically wake just in time as well!

If you don't have a machine washable duvet, use blankets for tonight. Cover pillows with towels as well as they can go funny in the wash.

BertieBotts Sat 24-Sep-11 22:29:58

Oh and it's worth having something to contain the soiled stuff - a laundry basket by the bed, and a plastic bag and roll of kitchen roll - use this to scrape the worst off if needed and then can go straight into the bag for the bin.

This sounds massively overkill and probably is but it really minimises effort for cleanup in the morning.

pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 22:33:04

Thank u! I'm glad u mentioned bf bertie, gp said not to let him feed just give him water but he was getting upset and stressed so I gave in and let him feed-most did come back up tho. Very worried, only 1 wee all day.

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 22:40:33

oh gawd no def let him feed. he'll gain comfort from it as well if he's feeling rough, and if he can keep any of it down it'll do him good

pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 22:57:49

Right were ready, towels all over top half of the bed and pillows, ds just in nappy & blanket (heating on), I'm in dressing gown. Small towels at the side of the bed and washing basket ready next to the bed. Wish us luck!

beatofthedrum Sun 25-Sep-11 09:58:50

How did your night go?

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 10:53:05

Really well! No sick thank god but so glad the towel was there as we had an exploding nappy smile thank you for all your help

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 10:58:30

ahh glad you didn't have sick to deal with. give me exploding nappy over vomit any day lol

is he feeling a bit better today?

ZhenXiang Sun 25-Sep-11 11:06:37

Hi pinkyp spoke to you on your other thread, glad you had a sick free night. Hope he is feeling better today.

Sounds as if the bug is moving through now so be prepared for a few more interesting nappies as it works its way out.

Now is the time to push the fluids into him as one wee in 24 hours is not a lot. Lots of breastfeeding plus you can offer watered down apple juice or weak fennel/peppermint tea with a little sugar added.

Give him today to get his fluids up, don't worry to much about food his gut needs to recover. If he seems hungry offer something really plain. Rice cooked in chicken stock is a good start and also fruit.

GP's always seem to advise just water or rehydration solution, I have always found breastmilk to be best, contains water, sugar, salts and immune boosting factors, just what your baby needs.

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 13:55:16

Thank u, got a bit of tummy ache myself so i'm thinking I might have a touch too. He's had 3 bf and some porridge so far. I'm thinking of just giving him some sticks of cooked carrots for tea (he loves carrot) rather than a ''meal".
Going to make some fennel tea too again as he seemed to like it yesterday - although I think he was just desperate for a drink.
He seems 'normal' today, I'm so relieved!
Arggh I hate bleeding bugs!!

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 14:29:47

Spoke too soon! Just threw his guts up sad nappy is dry as a bone (last changed at 9am) - normally by now I'd of changed it 1/2 times.

beatofthedrum Sun 25-Sep-11 16:11:20

Poor wee soul. Might be worth calling NHS Direct for advice?

BertieBotts Sun 25-Sep-11 18:39:05

This link has signs of dehydration - worth keeping an eye on him.

If I was you I would strip both of you down for some skin to skin (if possible) and (clothed or not!) park yourselves in bed or on the sofa (whichever has TV!) The cuddles and skin to skin will encourage him to feed as much as possible which is really what you want. 3 breastfeeds is good, but I'd expect him to be feeding almost like a newborn really.

Advice I think isn't to withhold food specifically, but only to offer non-committally or leave it and see if he asks (this is the approach I always take).

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 21:22:21

All was well had another 2 bf but 5 mins ago just had lots of projectile vomiting so i'm guessing Its all back up sad just having a feed now as he's tired. sad

ZhenXiang Sun 25-Sep-11 21:53:20

Sorry to hear it pinkyp sad

I would go back to just offering breastmilk and fennel tea for the time being until projectile vomiting ceases.

Better get the towels set up for tonight again.

If you start vomiting you can still breastfeed, DD and I have had stomach bugs at the same time on more than one occasion. You just have to make sure that you really keep your fluids up particularly nutritious fluids i.e. fruit and vegetable juices, soups etc...

If you are struggling to keep extra fluids down ice cubes/lollies are good as they allow the fluid to go in slowly rather which doesn't upset the stomach so much. You can make your own with pureed fruit which will provide extra sugars and nutrients. Or you can make rehydration solution and freeze into ice lollies.

If your DS is really struggling to keep down any fluid you can try this too, along with syringing small amounts of water/rehydration fluid in.

Please familiarise yourself with the signs of dehydration Bertie linked to and call out of hours doctor or NHS direct if you are at all worried.

If you have no rehydration solution you can make your own see here.

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 23:14:25

Thank you, will look at those links shortly.smile

ZhenXiang Mon 26-Sep-11 11:20:05

How is he today pinkyp?

pinkyp Mon 26-Sep-11 19:18:54

Touch wood no sick just explosive nappy again. Just had bf today, did offer some buscuit and porridge but wasn't interested. Did have a nibble of plum smile

Beamur Mon 26-Sep-11 19:22:24

The other useful thing to have in this event - if you don;t have a waterproof mattress cover is to get some of those mattress mats that you put on the bed when potty training - it will help soak up the spills and leaks and make it easier to clean up.

ZhenXiang Mon 26-Sep-11 20:49:28

Glad he is keeping it down, if that continues his appetite will probably ramp up tomorrow, so be prepared to give him food little and often so as to not overload his shrunken and delicate stomach.

Don't worry too much about what it is he is eating at this stage, the fact that he is interested in something is a good sign and should be encouraged.

Beamur good idea about the bedmats, I already have the Asda ones for DD and they are very good <files away in brain in case of future vomiting incidents>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now