Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd? - illegible writing and homework

(5 Posts)
OddBoots Thu 15-Sep-11 18:43:26

Background: ds (12) struggles with his writing, he has very hypermobile fingers, wrists and arms and this means he struggles to grip a pen well. He has things to help him, an angled writing desk and a pen with triangle grip but his writing is still very hard to read.

Now: He has been given by his new English teacher (as have all his class) a long writing assignment to do over this half term, the instructions say to hand write so that is what ds is doing and I think it is right that he does it. He is taking his time and I am really proud of how hard he is trying but his writing is still awful and takes a lot of work to read.

Do I:
1 - Just let him do the work as is given and leave it to the teacher to try to understand.
2 - Ask him to type it up after he has written it and submit the typed copy alongside the written one.
3 - Type it up myself (with translation from him as required) and submit that with the written one.
4 - Send a note to the teacher asking if she would like me to do either of these things?
5 - Other?

I am tempted to do 2 or 3 (or share it) but would this annoy the teacher? What would you do?

KnottyLocks Thu 15-Sep-11 19:36:53

I'd phone the school and ask if his teacher would give you a call back when they are available. It will save you all this agonising and it means you'll be able to explain your concerns clearly.

Is it a new school? If not, the new teacher may be able to talk to your DS's previous teacher to get more of an understanding.

OddBoots Thu 15-Sep-11 19:48:44

It is a school he has been at a year but a new teacher.

I think I will call, thank you.

ChitChattingWithKids Thu 15-Sep-11 22:03:35

With bad handwriting there are a few tricks that can help.

- Write on every second line, this gives space and makes it easier to visually distinguish between letters.

- Write slightly larger. Again, this helps the eye to decipher the writing.

- Only write on one side of the paper, again for ease of deciphering the writing.

- While this doesn't affect the quality of the actual writing, this helps with the ease of reading.

- Use black ink rather than blue, and make sure it is a fine to medium point.

Writing is something your DS will need to get a handle on if he wants to undertake further education. Exams will need to be handwritten for the majority of subjects.

I would suggest practising a small amount of handwriting every day in order to keep working on making the writing more legible. By it only being a small amount, it will be easier to encourage him to really take his time in forming each letter clearly, and with constant practice there will be a gradual improvement.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 18-Sep-11 17:30:12

I think 4 or like someone said call the teacher. It would be unfair if he was marked down on the content just because the teacher couldn't read it. sad

He sounds determined!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now