Talk

Advanced search

DS2's teacher not accepting his "offerings";

(9 Posts)
LynetteScavo Tue 13-Sep-11 18:24:34

DS2 is 8 (Y4).

Last Sunday he wanted to "make chocolate", so he went with DH and bought a bar of dairy milk, and together they melted it, added cornflakes and raisins and made some chocolate bars.

DS also made an A4 poster as an advert for the chocolate. All his own idea. (He now thinks DH and he should start up a chocolate company!)

On Monday morning he wanted to take some of the chocolate to his teacher, so I gave him a cake bag, and he packed it up and trotted off to school.

On Monday evening he told me he tried to give his teacher the chocolate and the poster he had made. Apparently she told him she was only interested in work he had done in school, and didn't like chocolate, only fudge.

DS now wants to make his teacher some fudge. He says she told him she likes fudge, but if she refuses it when he gives it to her it will show she "doesn't understand."

My heart is breaking for him. Do I;

a) Help him make fudge and pray she accepts.

b) Help him make fudge and phone her up and tell her to damn well accept it, even if she bins it, to preserve his feeling/his respect for her.

c) Invent various reasons not to make fudge for the foreseeable future.

Or something else?

farming4 Tue 13-Sep-11 18:30:17

I think I would be doing B. Am shock that someone who is in a position of respect and authority would act like this! Its wouldn't take much to say thankyou and well done surely?

thisisyesterday Tue 13-Sep-11 18:31:21

oh that's difficult :-( what a meany she is....

i know i would be leaning towards B although that's probably not the most sensible route!!! lol

i would say, maybe.. make the fudge, but let him give it to her with you there? that way it'll be harder for her to say no?

osd Tue 13-Sep-11 18:31:25

Tell him school policies are that the teacher can't accept gifts off pupils, which is probably the case, then when you next see the teacher, perhaps explain she should have praised his intuitiveness for the poster and chocolate and not fobbed him off but explained that she couldn't accept his gift.
Still let him make fudge for your family as its fun, the process is amazing. Its also a nice thing for him to share with your DH.

Grumpla Tue 13-Sep-11 18:31:51

I'd be going with B and possibly slashing her tyres under cover of darkness what a meanie!

MrsJamin Tue 13-Sep-11 18:31:56

What a bitch! How bizarre not to take an interest in learning outside school work sad

LynetteScavo Tue 13-Sep-11 20:06:09

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks she's a bitch a bit thoughtless.

She's also being quite harsh in other ways, so I'm trying really hard to say only positive things about her in front of DS, but it's getting difficult.

I'm pretty sure there is no school policy about teachers not accepting gifts.

MumToTheBoy Tue 13-Sep-11 20:12:32

I'm a teacher and I think that's mean. One of our children (reception) made fairy cakes for our class last week. I was delighted and enjoyed eating mine very much! they were so nice we've asked the mum to come in and do cooking with our class in a few weeks time.

I know teaching is a busy job but really there's no reason why the teacher couldn't have spent a few minutes thanking him for the chocolate and showing an interest in what he did at home.

Stormwater Tue 13-Sep-11 20:18:07

I'd go with Thisisyesterday's suggestion, let him make it and get him to give it to her when you're there, to encourage the correct response this time from the bitch teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now