Talk

Advanced search

DM wants to try potty training while I'm in hosp having dc2?

(8 Posts)
titferbrains Thu 08-Sep-11 09:03:23

Let her go for it? Am a bit concerned that this cd blow up in my face ifshegets upset or jealous when income home with baby. But she is 3 in a few weeks and i'd really like to get her doing something on the loo at least. Also need to get a bigger potty as Tommy tip pee ones are too small now. Just think I should have a potty in tv room to get her going as all her toys are there. Can you recommend a bigger potty? Ifu suggest I leave potty training for a bit, how long should I wait afterbirth of dc2?

kitbit Thu 08-Sep-11 09:08:55

Nope! Too much change at once, too much to handle for your dd imo.

eaglewings Thu 08-Sep-11 09:12:22

Wait!

DH tried to potty train DS soon after dd was born, I regret it so much. Another month would have made all the difference.

We stopped for a few weeks then started again and trained him using the loo

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Thu 08-Sep-11 09:16:01

I was thinking about trying to train dd1 before dd2. This was foolish for 2 reasons. Firstly dd1 was only 20 months when d2 was born and I blithely accepted my mother's assertions that I was trained at 19 months and it was easy.

Secondly everyone I spoke to said that dd1 would be likely to regress when dd2 arrived. And they were right, even without the toilet training. We went back to a bib and a bottle for a week or so!

I would wait until everything has calmed down and you have time to make a proper fuss of her when she goes.

Flowerista Thu 08-Sep-11 09:21:36

Can't comment on the timing as I only have one, but I'll tell you this - my mum was fantastic at potty training and as DS is anxious to please her above all others she had almost immediate success.

Cereal Sat 10-Sep-11 22:38:16

When is the baby due?

DecapitatedLegoman Sat 10-Sep-11 22:43:11

No no no. Not at the same time as you disappear off and return with a new baby, regardless of how old she is. Asking for trouble.

PelvicFloorsOfSteel Sat 10-Sep-11 22:51:34

IMO it's much easier having 2 in nappies than dealing with potty training and a newborn. DS2 was 3 months when we trained DS1 and I still wish we'd left it til he was a bit older, although it was complicated because DS1 was unhappy in nappies.

Is your DD interested in training? Unless she is really pushing it I'd leave it a while, it may feel like a big deal now having a 3yo in nappies but in the long run it really doesn't matter if you wait a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now