Talk

Advanced search

DD's 3rd bday 8 days after c-sec - celebrate on the day or when I've recovered?

(7 Posts)
titferbrains Wed 07-Sep-11 20:30:05

As the title says. DD knows what birthdays are, knows what a party is and I'm a bit worried about telling her that it's her bday but that we will have a cake/celebration another day.

Really don't think I'll be able to deal with birthday excitement on the day, but would like to give her some pressies. She has an excellent vocab so she probably will understand but just might get a bit confused about why she hasn't had a party/had her friends round/had a cake etc.

I will confess to PFB notion that I don't want anyone but me to make her cake as baking cakes is my "thing" - cannot bear the idea of buying one or anyone else doing it not to my liking!! But am pregnant and prob a bit irrational. Not had a CS before so no idea how well I'll be but assume I won't have my head together enough to make the cake! I guess I could direct my mum from a chair in the kitchen while bfing...

What could I do to make a very mini celebration for DD? She doesn't have many little friends yet and I know one is busy on the day.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 07-Sep-11 20:35:03

This happened when i had ds. Dd2's 3rd birthday was while i was still in hospital.

We told everyone that we were going to wait until i was home and so we celebrated it about 3 days later.

Does she actually know what day it is on ?? Dd didn't so was non the wiser.

titferbrains Wed 07-Sep-11 21:00:06

tks. this was what i'd thought I'd do. She doesn't know what day it is.

Can I ask how you celebrated?

Bouj Wed 07-Sep-11 21:05:22

Ds2 turned 5 12 days after dd was born by emergency cs. We had planned a party at a kids play place 3 days before his birthday so went on as planned. I sat down a lot and kept up the pain killers but was fine. He loved it and it kept a sense of normality for him. Regarding cake, I was desperate to do it too, had mum bake it but I decorated it

titferbrains Wed 07-Sep-11 23:03:07

Will definitely not have my shit together enough to have anything at a party venue, if anything we wd celebrate at home.

It's more whether I tell her it's her bday on the day, and tell her that her party will be another day (and risk being pestered about this endlessly till the day of said party) or whether I just give her something without mentioning her bday and celebrate her bday properly in October. Which seems a bit awful but that's only because I'll know and she won't.

HerdOfTinyElephants Wed 07-Sep-11 23:09:57

TBH I would have planned to do the party early, before the c-section and before her actual birthday. I'm guessing time is too tight for you to do that, though?

titferbrains Wed 07-Sep-11 23:18:35

yes, before the beginnning of term etc. Would like to have all her classmates there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now