Talk

Advanced search

Free stuff from Gap sent by mistake

(13 Posts)
ElusiveMoose Wed 07-Sep-11 14:18:58

I've just taken delivery of two very nice jumpers from Gap that I ordered online. Inexplicably, the parcel also contained two tops that I didn't order. They're both very nice, but the wrong size for me. What should I do? I'm normally a scrupulously honest person (a find-£20-on-the-street-and-hand-it-in-to-the-police-station type person), but the prospect of trekking down to the post office in the rain for the benefit of a multi-national corporation is not appealing. Should I a) do the decent thing and send them back, b) give them to Oxfam, or c) flog 'em on ebay?

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-11 14:21:03

Email gap and then return them if necessary.

Pretty sure with gap you can just shove the pre-paid returns sticker on and stick in a post box so not exactly a massive chore.

cheesesarnie Wed 07-Sep-11 14:21:22

phone gap and tell them to pick them up.then you get to be nice and not get wet.

im guessing you didnt mind the 'multi-national corporation' when you ordered the jumpers?you'll support them to buy but thats as far as it goes?

festi Wed 07-Sep-11 14:22:03

Give them to a friend or relative orflog them of course grin shame they dont fit.

festi Wed 07-Sep-11 14:24:26

I think op didnt mean anything derogitory my multi-national, I read it as in meaning a large company who could probably afford the dent of 2 articles rather than a small local company who may feel the effects of mislayed stock.

caughtinanet Wed 07-Sep-11 14:25:07

I'd email and tell them and ask them to collect (I think if you're sent stuff you didn't order its their responsibility to pick it up).

I bet you won't hear anything back from them and after a few months you can ebay with a clear conscience.

planetpotty Wed 07-Sep-11 14:26:38

Ring them tell them whats happened and they can collect if they are bothered its not for you to be trecking about for them.

Little cautionary tale:

I to am normally v honest hand in money etc (found £250 hanging out of a cash point once and handed in).

Anyway on hols few weeks back found E80 on a floor in a bar in a magaluf type place, deliberated and as I was really, really skint and thought if I hand this in the barman will just put in back pocket or in the till and it wont make it back to the rightfull owner. sad sad

Karma bit me in the ass big time! My bag got stollen that evening, then my car went caput to the tune of £600 and another bill which I though I had 6 mths to pay now needs paying imediately £400 - im currently on SMP!

So the moral of my quite long and possibly boring tale - I will always listen to that voice that says do the right thing and im v scared of Karma she's a bitch smile

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 07-Sep-11 14:30:54

Last time we ordered online from M&S they enclosed some baby stuff - not a lot of use since DD's 11. Since they had a return to store option I took it down to the nearest branch but it took forever to explain to them that no, I hadn't ordered it, no I knew I couldn't have a refund without a receipt, no I didn't need it...
I agree with Caughtinanet, send an email, give them a couple of months to reply and then stick them on ebay. Plus if they try to charge you for the jumpers you've then got something in writing to cover yourself.

ElusiveMoose Wed 07-Sep-11 14:31:07

Thanks for jumping to my defence Festi grin. That is what I meant. And good idea, I'll email or phone them to ask what I should do (the returns sticker won't make much sense, given that the items aren't listed on it), and then they might say 'Oh no, please keep them Mrs Moose', in which case I'll flog 'em. (Amazon did this to me once, with quite an expensive electrical item - lovely people.) Actually, the reason I'm a bit anti-Gap is probably that they sent the tops in XS, thus reminding me that I am not, and never will be, an XS... grin

ElusiveMoose Wed 07-Sep-11 14:44:40

Nope. Can't do it. I'm posting them back. I just had a little 'what would I tell my children!' moment, and stuck them back in the envelope with an explanatory note.

planetpotty Wed 07-Sep-11 15:36:04

1000 good person points to you - I would not rush to the post office though just keep in the car or by the front door for next time your passing. smile

ElusiveMoose Mon 12-Sep-11 13:19:30

Update
Ok, so what do I do now? Duly posted the stuff back, with a clear explanatory note of what had happened. Today, I get a standard email from Gap saying 'we have received your returned items, we will refund your credit card immediately'. They then list the returned items as the jumpers I originally ordered (and did not send back), with no mention of the extraneous items that I did send back. So now what? I've been given £60's worth of jumpers for free. Should I phone them up and get them to deduct the payment again??

said Mon 12-Sep-11 13:25:22

<Watching - Uniqlo has just sent me stuff I didn't order. And it's my size>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now