Talk

Advanced search

mention this on Holiday scheme feedback or not?

(15 Posts)
cheesetoastie Sun 04-Sep-11 18:00:14

The dc have gone to a holiday scheme for a couple of weeks this summer. I have received an email with a feedback form which asks for the dc to comment on their most/least favourite activity etc and asks for the parents to feedback too.
Now, I hadn't met all the staff before the kids went there so I was surprised to see that one member of staff (is NVQ3 qualified and a manager of one of the regular sessions) wears his trousers way below his pants so the pants are on show. We live in rural south-east - not New York. The same staff member also uses the phrase 'Hairy Mary' (um..from where I'm from that phrase means fanjo) as an exclamation, which was picked up on by my impressionable ds. I am now in the situation of telling my ds that wearing your trousers like that is not acceptable and neither is using 'Hairy Mary' ten times a day to express surprise etc.
So do I mention these quibbles on the feedback form or do I have standards that are too high?
What would you do?

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 18:05:27

Hairy Mary!?? I'm in East Anglia and I have never heard it used as an exclamation! Bizzarre! Did you hear him yourself or has this come from DS?

pinguwings Sun 04-Sep-11 18:11:29

I would mention the pants thing, not appropriate. Wouldn't mention the Hairy Mary thing.

cheesetoastie Sun 04-Sep-11 18:29:53

Both dc mentioned it but only ds is using the phrase. I googled it to check that it's not just me - honestly it comes up as a synonym for fanjo. Which, once you are aware of, means that a small boy saying it several times a day does tend to grate on your nerves (praying that he will stop if I ignore enough).

cheesetoastie Sun 04-Sep-11 19:58:18

Well.. I did the feedback form and mentioned both things. I got an email back immediately saying that their staff wear belts and being very defensive..so I am now more upset. Would rather they say 'oh that's not good, we will stop that' than pretend that it didn't happen and that my kids lie.

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:11:38

Did you see the pants OP? Did you hear him? They shouldn't ask for feedback if they are not prepared to receive the negatives with the positives? I've been thinking about this - is it possible he uses the phrase "Holy Moly" and your DS has got a bit confused?

budgieshell Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:30

Did your children enjoy this holiday scheme, what activities did they enjoy? If appearance and language was suitable would you use it again. If things didn't improve would you use it again?

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:26:30

...just been asked by DH what on EARTH I am up to as I am saying Holy Moly over and over again in strange accents to see if I can make it sound like Hairy Mary grin

<<think he's phoning men in white suits now - let's hope their pants aren't showing when they arrive!>>

AssetRichIncomePoor Sun 04-Sep-11 20:29:04

Ugh to visible pants. I would avoid in future, especially after their response.

cheesetoastie Sun 04-Sep-11 20:46:27

Carpwidow - I did not see the pants - my dmum took the kids and picked them up. I have 2 dc and they both independently mentioned the pants. One would joke each day that 'X has changed into clean pants today' because she could tell from the fabric on show.
Um..nope not Holy Moly (am giggling at that). Ds is yr6 and is pretty adamant that it is Hairy Mary. Sadly he's at the age where young men who wear their trousers round their bums are role models so he is a bit awe-struck and thinks he is so cool with his ''Hairy Mary''s.
Scheme organiser has now emailed me back again and said that she's calling a staff meeting and will address staff clothing and language - maybe she's a mumsnetter??

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 21:43:37

..well at least he was changing his pants daily... every cloud and all that grin

caughtinanet Sun 04-Sep-11 21:56:10

I think you are overreating a bit.

Apart from not looking smart what is your objection to the pants? Lots of young men of my aquaintance wear their pants low, its just a fad and I'm sure doesn't affect how well they look after your children.

The hairy Mary wouldn't bother me at all, it would certainly never have occured to me that was a rude saying but of course any phrase repeated ad nausem is annoying.

I don't think the playscheme organiser has handled your complaint very well though, I don't believe that they have a ruling on whether staff wear belts - that does sound a very defensive first response.

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 21:58:22

put it down it will entertain the readers for ages

ivykaty44 Sun 04-Sep-11 22:06:51

It is the youth of today, when I was a lass it all started with punk rockers and their pink mohicans. Now they where there hair in natural colours but show their pants to the world. It is an ever changing.

sayings around the world have different meanings, Hairy Mary sounds like a hair comment and a girls name - but if in one part of the world it means fanny - but in other parts of the world Fanny is a girls name, what shoudl we do with all the words?

i really don't like trousers round bottoms on young lads - but I am old and like belts and my dd;s tell me I am old and to stop fussing mum your friends had blue hair when you where young...

cheesetoastie Sun 04-Sep-11 22:34:14

I'm sure pants-round-bum wouldn't affect quality of care but at the age ds is he is looking for male role models and I don't want to spend the next 8 years telling him to pull his trousers up or subjected to his pant-covered arse all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now