Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - dilemma with family weekend, need to be in two places at once - stressed!

(5 Posts)
drzeus Fri 02-Sep-11 10:17:00

OK, I need some advice please wise Mumsnetters.

Later this month, we have a weekend of activities as follows:

Saturday: DH has a event in the midlands, needs to be there at 8am Saturday. Means either going up Friday evening or crack of dawn on Saturday.
Sunday: DH has another, different racing event in the south east. He will either go directly from the midlands or from home both of which require another very early start. Earlier this year, I entered a 5K charity race in London, which is on Sunday and starts at 11am.

Now, the problem.

DS (aged 9 and 7) will want to go on Saturday and Sunday.

On Sunday, I don't know what to do for the best. DH will be "working" and not able to keep an eye on them all the time. He's said they can go and sit in the grandstand and watch the race. I'm not comfortable with them being left unsupervised, in case something happens. I can probably get to Kent mid afternoon after my run but I'm feeling that I should probably just not do it :-(. I've paid to enter the run so would lose the money and it was something that I really get a sense of achievement and pride from. I really feel stuck and guess I know in my heart the appropriate thing is to cancel. Just feel really sad.

I will go to keep an eye on them and keep them under control but not really bothered about being at either event tbh, particularly as it takes up the entire weekend.

Can't get my head round this - WWYD?

mumblechum1 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:19:40

I'd take the kids to see their dad on the Saturday, but on the Sunday, leave them at home with a babysitter.

They can't go both days, it's too much hassle for you.

fluffles Fri 02-Sep-11 10:24:37

i'd take the kids with you to your race. it's only 5k so you'll only be running for about half an hour and it's probably a circular course.

can you not take another friend/family to the race as well who will stay with them during the race itself and help them meet you at the end, then take everybody to your DHs race. i think it would be good for your kids to be at the 5k and see you accomplish that.

CroissantNeuf Fri 02-Sep-11 10:24:50

Go with them on Saturday but get a friend/family member to go with them on Sunday (one of your DH's friends maybe who is into the event?)

TrillianAstra Fri 02-Sep-11 12:23:38

The appropriate thing is not to cancel. Why should DH's event or what the kids want necessarily take precedence over your race? They are doing what they want on Saturday, you should be able to do what you want on Sunday, especially as it's been booked for ages.

I wouldn't want to leave a 7 and 9 year old alone at a big race either.

Options are:
1 someone (else) goes with them and DH to his thing
2 you ask someone you know who will be watching your race (if it's local are you likely to know people who will be there) to keep an eye on them while you run
3 they stay at home with babysitter - maybe you rent them a DVD that they want

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now