Talk

Advanced search

what would you do?

(12 Posts)
iambach Thu 25-Aug-11 09:00:29

we need another bedroom as i have 3 kids all in one room. Oldest is a boy youngest 2 girls. They are currently happy sharing but i'd like to give my son his own room and the girls can continue to share as very close in age and are best of friends.

We have money to extend.

However my dh was made redundant last year and only job he could get was 2 hrs from here. We have seen a house with an extra bedroom near his work that we could just about buy outright and still keep exsisting house as a holiday home.

Would you extend or would you buy a second home, this lump of money is a one of, we are not likely to have it ever again.

What would you do???

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 09:02:22

I would go for the house close to your DHs work. If he took the job, he wouldn't or couldn't realistically commute four hours a day.

borderslass Thu 25-Aug-11 09:02:45

We had 3 in one room and split the room in 2 is that possible.

Thistledew Thu 25-Aug-11 09:02:48

What are your reasons for not moving? It can't be great for your DH to commute 4 hours a day or not see his family during the week.

Mitmoo Thu 25-Aug-11 09:03:43

Ages of the children?

School ages?

Their wishes?

Husbands wishes and yours?

Stress on husband of travelling?

Is he looking for more local work while working away?

Lots of things to consider really.

UndercoverWorker Thu 25-Aug-11 09:04:21

If you've got the money to buy a house outright then use it, why would you not? You could still move back to the current house and either sell or rent the second house. Seems like a no brainer.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Aug-11 09:04:36

Isn't the decision to move a bit bigger than just based on size/no. of bedrooms???

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 25-Aug-11 09:06:02

Buy the new house and cut down on the travelling time for your husband, two hours a day on top of working is a lot and if you can make it less it would be silly not to.

UndercoverWorker Thu 25-Aug-11 09:06:18

I'm assuming that the OP has already taken account of the big stuff.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Aug-11 09:07:57

But a second home also brings a whole lot of expenses .... keep as a holiday home isn't quite as simple as locking it up and moving ...

iambach Thu 25-Aug-11 09:33:17

The job is part time and at the moment my husband stays overnight in the area he works 1 night one week 2 nights the next.

He loves the job, it is permanent and related to his degree and to where he wants his career to go.

We moved to our current house because of his job 4 years ago (the one he was then made redundant from, we have since had another child and i have established myself here with a lovely circle of friends both in my parent circle and horsey circle. This is what makes moving hard for me.

For my children (7, 4 and 2) my 7 yo is settled in our small school 40 pupils in total and my 4 year old is in her second week there too, i do feel however they would easily adjust at their ages and also because other house is also rural and school very small too.

Husband would move qute happily he doesnt have the same network of friends here as he has mostly worked full time whilst i have been SAHM so more involved in community (school, toddler droup etc)

Moving would ake us closer to grandparents by over an hour, currently 4 hrs away and move would mean 2.5 hours from them.

So many things to consider.

I haver thought of splitting the bedroom etc not ideal room for doing that but probably possible at a push.

Alikersh Fri 26-Aug-11 13:07:32

Instead of keeping your house as a holiday home, can you rent it out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now