Talk

Advanced search

For you dh 50th birthday?

(9 Posts)
1legmummy Mon 15-Aug-11 11:22:45

my dh is 50 in September. We are going away for a weekend in august to celebrate as our 4 year old starts school the following week.

I am worried because he has started to get depressed. He is worrying about being an old dad, his dad died soon after his 50th birthday.

Also, both parents passed away many years ago and my parents and brother will not be here for his birthday.

He wrote a list of people to invite to a barbecue and then gave up cause he realised how few friends he has sad

Any ideas would be gratefully received

He does not like surprise parties
Loves football
Drinking

Any ideas..

Yourefired Mon 15-Aug-11 18:26:58

No sure where you're based, but the big football club near us, and wembley stadium, do tours and let you watch the training sessions. Apparently all very family friendly so good for including children in. For the evening how about a wine or whiskey tasting session. DH went on a whiskey one and really enjoyed it. Hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide upon.

sloggies Mon 15-Aug-11 18:58:03

Yourefired suggestions are really good. My dh is 50 next year, and because he really likes old buses, I was going to price getting him picked up in one, to get to the party venue.
Maybe let us know how it goes? Good luck, and enjoy it.

1legmummy Mon 15-Aug-11 21:01:43

Thanks guys, I am really surprised he is so low.

We are near Southampton - he did a tour last year with ds. I had a look at hiring a box to watch a match £1600 for 10!!!

I will keep looking

sloggies Mon 15-Aug-11 21:21:33

I knew someone else who became low for similar reasons....he seemed to get better gradually as the time passed, so he realised he was going to be ok.

CocktailQueen Mon 15-Aug-11 21:37:32

My dh is 50 next weekend - have bought us trips on Flying Scotsman as he loves steam trains and my parents will babysit. Will also give him hamper of treaty things and pamper him for a weekend. Hope your dh ahs a lovely time.

Talker2010 Wed 31-Aug-11 22:51:03

Mine is 50 in Oct

Day at Silverstone on the skid track
Day Wine Tasting Course
Meal with family

He is indifferent but I am hoping the above will go down well

drzeus Fri 02-Sep-11 10:45:36

When DH was 50, I wasn't working so didn't have much money to spend. I got a photo album and put together a photo scrapbook of the kids and for each month over his 50th year I put a present - like nice meal with family, evening at the pictures, voucher for Machine Mart. Some involved no/very little cost. He loved the album and the presents all year!

I hope your DH has a fabulous birthday smile

scaryteacher Thu 15-Sep-11 10:56:02

Mine got a pre loved sports car (joint 25th anniversary pressie), a track day driving this model of car, and an IOU for a trip to Australia next year. Our birthdays are quite close together, so we also went out for a lovely lunch to celebrate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now