Talk

Advanced search

Nasty chain e-mail

(14 Posts)
MightyAphrodite Sun 07-Aug-11 11:27:35

I thought my chain-letter days were over, but I just opened a message from a friend, and when I saw how many times it had already been forwarded, I realized what it was. Before I could hit 'delete' though, my eye strayed to the first line of the message and all those awful feelings I got when someone sent me a chain-letter came back. I know I'm not in for any more bad luck than normal for not replying, but it's playing on my mind, and I'm furious with this woman for sending it on to me. We're not particularly close, though her son was in my class last year. I'm thinking of mailing her and asking her to remove me from her contacts. WWYD?

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Sun 07-Aug-11 11:31:52

Message withdrawn

SandStorm Sun 07-Aug-11 11:32:27

I would just delete and ignore if it's the first time she's done it. If she's a repeat offender and she doesn't send other, important emails, then just block her.

SayItLoud Sun 07-Aug-11 11:34:10

Why do you get awful feelings with chain letters? Aren't they just mildly irritating?

DuelingFanjo Sun 07-Aug-11 11:35:24

I would reply to all with a message saying it's just superstitious rubbish but can be really upsetting so please don't send any more. If it's something on snopes then include a link. That's what I do.

Yourefired Sun 07-Aug-11 11:46:50

Delete the nasty thing, silly woman for sending such stuff out. Don't mention it and assume a daft one-off event.

MightyAphrodite Sun 07-Aug-11 11:54:26

I don't know why this upset me so much. It must just have brought back memories of when I was a shy, fairly insecure 10 year-old, finding anonymous letters, with real threats in them, in my school bag. Then they were all about something happening to your dog/parents/siblings. Now it's something happening to your children, which presumably is what shocked me, out of the blue on a Sunday morning. It's just I'd never do this to anyone.

Yourefired Sun 07-Aug-11 11:54:46

Delete the nasty thing, silly woman for sending such stuff out. Don't mention it and assume a daft one-off event.

Yourefired Sun 07-Aug-11 12:03:16

Sorry posted twice by mistake. Don't understand myself why people would send on, unless they're scared of the consequences of not sending. Try not to take personally sounds like many others also been hit. Thoughtlessness seems to be root of it.

flimflammery Sun 07-Aug-11 12:14:57

Send her a message saying, ' I think your computer has been targeted by a virus which has sent out nasty and threatening messages to people on your address book, including me - see below'.

MightyAphrodite Sun 07-Aug-11 13:06:01

Many thanks. Things are back in perspective now! It was just such a shock at first.

northerngirl41 Sun 07-Aug-11 16:04:50

i always feel like I'm doing the sender a massive favour by beingstrong enough to delete these without a second thought - most people only forward them on as they're too scared to ignore/delete them.

MightyAphrodite Sun 07-Aug-11 16:20:39

It's easy to delete the 'send this on and your luck will triple' type, but this one was vicious - 'if you don't send this on, very bad things will happen to your family'. Why do people start these things?

TrillianAstra Sun 07-Aug-11 16:36:12

"Please don't send me emails like that again, they are unpleasant and do not make me think kindly of you."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now