Talk

Advanced search

Find £10 on a bench...

(26 Posts)
slp123 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:31:42

Hi, this is my first post. Just wondered what people would do...you find £10 on bench in shopping centre, do you pocket it or hand it in to customer services/lost property?

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Aug-11 12:33:06

£10? tbh I'd keep it

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 05-Aug-11 12:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CherryDrops Fri 05-Aug-11 12:34:13

Check around me to see if anyone's obviously looking for it. If nobody was I'd keep it without a second thought.

scurryfunge Fri 05-Aug-11 12:35:40

You just have to make a reasonable effort to locate the owner. This may just mean reporting the find to customer services, leave your details but keep the cash. (you would have to repay if a loser is found). It is an unlikely situation though.

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 12:36:23

finders keepers, but wait 'til you see how many people are too scared to say that and reckon they'd hand it in

<moves petrol can out of way>

scurryfunge Fri 05-Aug-11 12:39:48

Not too scared to state I am not a thief,AuntieMonica.Stick with what the law says and you won't be criticised.

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 12:45:40

smile

headfairy Fri 05-Aug-11 12:48:36

I probably wouldn't hand it in unless it was obvious where it came from iyswim (near a cafe or playground) but I wouldn't pocket it, too much guilt. I'd pop it in the next charity box I found.

encyclogirl Fri 05-Aug-11 12:49:59

I'd keep it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 05-Aug-11 12:52:56

I'd hand it in because that's who I am, its not my money so i don't keep it. When i've found money in the street (even when flat broke) I've weighted it down with stones so it can be easily found. What the next person who comes across it does with it is their business.

LawrieMarlow Fri 05-Aug-11 12:53:50

I would keep it.

DizzyKipper Fri 05-Aug-11 13:00:52

Well I'd check to see if anyone was looking around the pavement looking upset, and then ask them what was wrong. (If they say they've lost a tenner then I'd hand it back to them - I would prefer the money but won't knowingly steal from some one, I had some one lift £100 from my wallet when it had dropped out of my bag before and know how horrible it feels!). If there was no one like that looking around then I would count my lucky stars and start thinking of how best I could spend it - I honestly don't see the point of handing it in to the police or whoever because who is really going to have noticed losing it and know where they lost it? That said scurryfunge mentioning that you can leave your details but keep the cash is already making me feel guilty that I should at least do that and recompensate the person later on if an owner comes forward, so maybe that's what I'd do.

MrsWembley Fri 05-Aug-11 13:03:08

I'm with headfairy here. A tenner would go in a charity tin. If it was coinage (anything up to a pound I'd say) would, however, go in my pocketwink.

ImperialBlether Sun 07-Aug-11 12:48:02

If there was no way of finding the owner, I'd keep it.

However, last week I was at the self service till in the supermarket last week and asked for £40 cashback. I was distracted when I left and forgot to take the money. I went to the pharmacy within the supermarket, which is right by the self service tills.

When I got home I realised I didn't have the money. Nobody had given it in - I don't know how they could do that (someone was right behind me) given that I was only standing a few feet away.

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 07-Aug-11 12:59:43

If the owner wasn't obviously looking, I'd give it to the next Big Issue/homeless/charity collector I saw. Has happened more than once tbh...

LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 07-Aug-11 13:02:37

I'd put it in a charity collection tin.

<polishes halo>

LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 07-Aug-11 13:03:31

Damn, didn't read your post Belle!

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 07-Aug-11 13:04:25

We can tag-polish grin

LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 07-Aug-11 13:13:16

grin

allthefires Sun 07-Aug-11 13:19:17

Charity tin.

Found a tenner in the bakery. Handed it to staff. No idea what they did with it.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 07-Aug-11 13:22:11

I'd keep it.

tbh.

noddyholder Sun 07-Aug-11 13:24:05

now i would give to a charity collection but yars ago when I had less money it would have been spent on luxuries like wine newspapers take wayy coffee etc I would have justified to myself somehow!

BluddyMoFo Sun 07-Aug-11 13:25:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sun 07-Aug-11 13:30:57

i would love to keep it as desperately skint atm, but would probably feel far too guilty so would give it to the lovely Big Issue seller guy at our local shops, who i know is far worse off than me in real terms. i always feel so guilty when i dont have enough to buy his mag every week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now