Talk

Advanced search

If you found a fox inside your house?

(18 Posts)
pepperrabbit Wed 27-Jul-11 16:21:00

A cub has been hanging around our end of the road for a couple of months, possibly abandoned as I haven't seen the big fox for a while, and the cub has got a bit bigger now but is scrawny.
I have NEVER done anything to encourage it, I have 3 DC (7,5,2) and we've watched it through the window etc but neither chased nor encouraged it.
Yesterday, i was on a work call, kids watching CBeebies educational documentaries and the fox xame right in the house - I saw it in the dining room so it'd come in the back door, into the kitchen and through.
It was between me and the kids and I didn't want to scare it towards them and get trapped/defensive so I moved a bit, and it turned and SAUNTERED off, didn't even run sad
It's clearly not scared of people at all, and i think it must have been after the cat food.
Today, I'm in the back garden with 3 DCs and a friend of mine, and the BT man's inside drilling a bloody great hole through the wall and it walked past us and in again. angry
I can't bear the thought of keeping all the doors shut all summer, the council website says they don't deal with foxes and all the web stuff implies it's my own fault for "encouraging it". There's no rubbish out, I've moved the cat food and barricaded shut the doors.
Any advice or experience?
<Mind the sight of the BT man perched on the garage roof SAS style with DS2s Supersoaker was almost worth it smile>

pepperrabbit Wed 27-Jul-11 20:24:14

bump!

BitzyVonMuffling Wed 27-Jul-11 20:26:10

Honestly? The answer is simply to keep your doors shut. Maybe you can;t bear the thought, but is the thought of it attacking your dc any better?

3littlefrogs Wed 27-Jul-11 20:26:44

How about getting a dog gate for your door?

pepperrabbit Wed 27-Jul-11 21:17:55

Do you mean like a half door/split door? that's a good idea but an expensive solution for one fox... but it's almost impossible to keep the doors shut with the DCs in and out all the time so i might have to try that.
So annoying. My neighbours think it's cute hmm but it's not been in theirs yet.
thanks.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Wed 27-Jul-11 21:24:42

So have your neighbours been leaving food out? Please call the council and if not then pest control. Failing that do you know anyone who does shooting or a farmer?

Parietal Wed 27-Jul-11 22:37:59

Put a baby stairgate across the door?

glasscompletelybroken Thu 28-Jul-11 18:48:18

Don't know where you live but if it's possibpe get a local farmer to come and shoot it.

fivegomadindorset Thu 28-Jul-11 18:50:50

In answer to your question shoot it, in answer to your predicament get hold of a pest controller.

Debs75 Thu 28-Jul-11 18:54:26

Shooting it is a bit harsh.

if you keep all food high out the way or safely in bins then you are not encouraging it.
if you know the dc's are in and out all the time then you will have to be nearer the door, if possible to watch for it coming back.
Try a whistle or a bottle filled with stones to get its attention and scare it away
If it never gets any food it will try elsewhere so don't let the dc's drop scraps

intermittentrain Thu 28-Jul-11 19:00:45

They are supposed to not like the smell of Jeyes Fluid (which you can buy in Tesco). You can put a load of old teabags into some Jeyes Fluid then scatter them everywhere in the garden, around the approach to the house. I can't speak for whether it works, but it's supposed to. I feel for you - I think you need to get it sorted out. As upthread, some people do feed them. sad You really can't carry on with it coming into the house; if it gets upstairs, say, and feels trapped, it could turn nasty. I would ring the council and expect them to help you.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Jul-11 19:01:09

Would the RSPCA or other animal welfare set up help trap it humanely and release it somewhere.?

Quodlibet Thu 28-Jul-11 19:01:34

Good suggestion Debs.
Or you could try squirting it with a water pistol until it keeps its distance - it's in the fox's interest to learn to be wary of people.

pepperrabbit Thu 28-Jul-11 22:17:48

I have found out who's feeding it and a mutual friend is going to have a word with them angry.
I like both suggestions about the whistle/stones and the Jeyes Fluid/teabags.
I'm working from home tomorrow so it'll be quiet and it may be around again so I'll have the chance to scare it properly.
Council categorically doesn't do foxes, RSPCA can help if it's trapped or injured.

NonnoMum Thu 28-Jul-11 22:21:19

Bumping with interest. We seem to have a fox hole at the end of our (not more than 30 foot) garden. And have seen a young scrwany fox sauntering around in the morning. Not in the least bit afraid of being seen.
They seem to be much less afraid of people these days...

intermittentrain Thu 28-Jul-11 22:25:01

You need to fill in the hole, as long as you can first make sure there are no foxes or cubs in it. Then make free with the Jeyes fluid.

pepperrabbit Thu 28-Jul-11 22:27:17

Yes, apparently once they successfully breed in a fox hole they'll use it again and again and again.

NonnoMum Thu 28-Jul-11 23:08:09

Ohhhhhh nooooooo....

(Ta for advice though)

Is Tesco still open?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now