Talk

Advanced search

declining invites

(4 Posts)
RuthSims Sun 24-Jul-11 15:41:41

I am part of a group of mums and dads who met at ante-natal classes. Christening invites are trickling in and potentially there could be over 5 christenings.

Is it rude of me to just decline the invite to all of them? Do I have to give a reason or can I just say 'can't make it' 5 times over?

My reason for not going is that I really can't be bothered trooping along to several christenings for babies of people I only know because we had babies at the same time. I am not religious but it's not really a religious objection or anything like that, I just find it all a bit of a waste of time. I would go to the christening of the baby of close friends. I am guessing they have just issued an invite to the whole group so it's not like they specially want me there.

I still meet up with them all occassionally but we're not best buddies or anything like that and I haven't really clicked with any of them. I tink I would make the effort for their kids birthdays if invited but personally am not planning on any kind of big celebration for my own baby's birthday and we won't be having a christening either.

Have name changed incase they read mumsnet as don't want to out myself.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sun 24-Jul-11 15:46:37

I guess if I was part of your ante-natal class I would conclude that you didn't really want to stay friends with me/us! If that's the message you want to give then fine to turn down all 5.

IslaValargeone Sun 24-Jul-11 15:49:15

If you end up being noticeably absent from them all, you may find that you aren't invited to future parties anyway, as they would be not exactly too far off the mark to think that you weren't particularly interested in maintaining friendships anyway. If that's fine with you, then turn them down. If however you don't want to risk being out of the group, it might be wise to attend a couple but have good excuses for the ones you decline?

RuthSims Sun 24-Jul-11 15:58:10

AH! that's me told then. I do like them but I do feel like I am not a proper part of the group too. I suppose I will just go to them all.

Will I be committing a massive faux pa if I don't invite them to a party for my baby - I am only intending on having a cake at my mum's house anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now