Talk

Advanced search

Friend not helping her depressed DH.

(6 Posts)
HortontheElephant Thu 21-Jul-11 11:01:40

I have known this couple for over 20 years and they are both very dear friends.
Husband recently had to give up work due to stress/depression and has talked about suicide in the past.
His wife is totally unsympathetic. She says he is being selfish and she can't be expected to support the family alone. Thinks he should snap out of it and get another job quickly. She is a total control freak and over the years has slowly emasculated her DH. Their DC's also are now picking up on the problems and are starting to get quite unruly!! Visiting them can be quite uncomfortable at times.
What would you do? Should I say anything, or try to get involved. I feel stuck in the middle as both partners tell me the problems, but I feel if I sided with one, I would be being unfair to the other IYSWIM.

PaperBank Sat 23-Jul-11 19:00:44

Could you say you have found some information that you thought was interesting, about how friends and family can best help those with depression?

http://www.depressionalliance.org/help-and-information/friends-and-family.php

corblimeymadam Sat 23-Jul-11 19:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

intelligenceitself Tue 26-Jul-11 14:35:55

I'm stressed and depressed doing a 55 hour week. No way would I be willing to support another adult just because they were stressed. Who is going to pay for his food, his clothes etc? When she works herself into a mental hospital what happens then?

northerngirl41 Thu 04-Aug-11 11:57:33

Perhaps she found that being sympathetic made it worse, not better?

BestNameEver Thu 04-Aug-11 12:01:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now